Breast feeding a 13 year old?! adult content

I saw an article online about a woman who still breast feeds her 13 year old son and says she has no intentions of stopping anytime soon. I find this to be VERY bizarre and there is no possible way that this isn't mentally scarring for the boy. He's at the age when he's going to start puberty and is still drinking directly from mom?! If she was expressing, though still creepy IMO, it would not be NEARLY as bad. But this is going to cause mental scarring for this child. This woman is setting her son up for an extreme Oedipal complex! What do you ladies think about this? And how long is too long for you when it comes to breast feeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Aug. 4, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Oh wow, but I have seen 7-10 year olds still drinking from the tit.. Little too long for me, time will tell if he/they are jacked up because of it..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:15 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• I watched a documentary about this lady that still feeds her girls. I think were are about 8 and 10. Her daughters actually gave her tits names and drew pictures of them. They would get breast fed whenever they wanted and would go over to their mom and just lift her shrt and start sucking away. Just creepy!
    JayRo00

Answer by JayRo00 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• I'm all for Breastfeeding! Huge advocate here! But there is a limit! By 13 boys are already to a point where they are sexually interested... I don't see how breastfeeding at that point can't be doing some damage on some level! Not to mention, at some point, this kid has to cut the strings...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:18 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• 13 is waaaaay to old. sorry its just creepy. even 8 and 10 is creepy to me. that is a little extreme
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 9:15 AM on Aug. 5, 2011

• That is absolutely disgusting.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:10 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• Breastfeeding at 13 is wrong on so many levels.
    vannahs

Answer by vannahs at 1:08 AM on Aug. 5, 2011

• so she's breast feeding her 10, 13 yo and her husband?!?! That's just so outside of what I consider ok.
    I've been told that there comes a time when a boy doesn't even hug his mom because he's confused with sexual feelings and thought's and such. yes I know this is not true for all boys but I wonder the confusion these boys are feeling. Especially if they see daddy nursing too. Very strange!!!
    AmandaH321

Answer by AmandaH321 at 10:18 AM on Aug. 5, 2011

• I think that is tantamount to child abuse! What's the difference between this and incest? Yes, breast milk provides nutrition and all that jazz but a 13 year old that is probably on the verge of having sex himself. This is beyond WEIRD
    MsRickie

Answer by MsRickie at 5:41 PM on Aug. 5, 2011

• ive seen/heard of other articles bout simular situations! it freaks me out a bit too...i think there is an emotional need from mom to contiune bf....who nos what kind of issuse these children will have bc of this...but for me i would only bf til about 1yr or less depending on the unknown varibles
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 10:21 PM on Aug. 4, 2011

• That is ridiculous. My daughter quit nursing at 18mo and, though I was sad at the time, I still think that I couldn't have done it much longer. I know I couldn't have held out until she was 13.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 10:36 PM on Aug. 4, 2011