Still can't believe this!

We took our son to the ER a month ago cuz he was projectile vomiting starting at 4am. He was 3 mos and I was worried about how he started acting. Every time I fed him he did it. It was around 9 am when he started acting very tired, dehydrated and then throwing up bile. As soon as we got him weighed at the ER he started acting normal again. Well we didn't have insurance because it hadn't kicked in yet and then my husband got laid off before it did kick in. Our bill is $566.00!!! I couldn't believe that. For the doc to look at him twice and say he didn't know what was wrong but his lab work was abnormal! WTH. I could have kept him home for that advice! Anyone else think our medical system is bogus??? You people that complain of military medical don't know how GOOD you have it!

britni11

Asked by britni11 at 8:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Kids' Health

• Yea it is crap. I went to the ER and left after I had my vitals done. I was charges 150$ to have my temp and BP taken. I think our system is comp bogus. There needs to be something done to remedy this.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:42 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Well beat this...took daughter in because she was SCREAMING off the top of her lungs for hours... she was about 4-5 months.... They checked her and EVERYTHING was find.. so i took her to our DR. the next day and she had the worst year infections he had ever seen...How come the ER dr didnt find that? I WAS SO PISSED!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 8:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I dunno. He told me to go to another doctor the next day, but the visit it's self was going to cost 150...not to mention if they did anything else...I couldn't even afford the 150 so we didn't go...he seemed to be a lot better anyway.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I agree. My SO was just in the hospital over night for a bowel track infection. He doesn't have insurance because we can't afford it after our daughter's insurance, but somehow he makes too much to get financial aid. He spent one night in the hospital, had a cat scan done and some blood work, and a few injections of pain meds with the IV. His bill was almost $8,000. It's ridiculous.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• took my daughter in when she was like twelve she was complaining cuz her tailbone hurt. she had been at a dance the night before and was on somone elses shoulders (which yes was stupid in itself) and she fell so i thought she had broken her tailbone and she had a red mark right above her butt crack well they looked did xrays couldn't find anything and sent her home. well the pain kept getting worse. so i took her to her doctor and i don't know what the doc called it but it ended up being a big like boil type thing it kept bealing and one day it broke open and well i won't describe the rest but it was serious and it could return and the hospital didn't catch that either but i got a bill from them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:05 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• try chiropractic first. help the body heal itself and spare yourself the agony of health crises. I wish someone had told me sooner about it. Any questions please respond.
    Thanks, Dr. Monika King in Anaheim, CA
    drmonika

Answer by drmonika at 10:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Yes the bills a re crazy! I'm a nurse and when looking at my medical bill for some things.. I was like it costs WHAT to do that!? Things I do on a daily basis people are charge $50 for something that took me a second to do. And I promise you, I'm not seeing the money for it!
    And I was just looking at my bill for my sons shots... OMG I can't believe the cost! Makes me wonder who is getting all the $$!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Yeah i think its bs,

I mean them nurses and doctors act like stuck up jerks if you ask me...they make you wait for so long and i dont even think their that busy most of the time, i had to wait 5 hours just 2 weeks ago , cause dd bumped her noggin and they said she was the LOWEST priority and said i didnt like it we could leave..I called them the next day the BOSS or what ever of the hospital sent flowers for a sorry ...well i sent them back...and im still trying to get in contact with someone else,

I went once and i waited in the Waiting room, finally they asked for my info...i left because it was SOOO LONG...
    BUT JUST FOR THAT WAIT..I WAS CHARGED!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 1:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree that the situation sucks. My husband had to have a stress test - they charged $6,000 for him to run on a treadmill for 10 minutes. We could have bought 6 treadmills for that price. Our insurance paid but that's not the point!!!
    Anonymous

• My DH is military and you'll never hear me complain about our med insurance!! Do you not qualify for state medical insurance? That would help a lot and some could be retroactive. I know before dh went into the military my DD had a respiratory infection and was wheezing and I knew we couldn't afford the bill but the doc told me to take her into the ER and sign up for the state inusurance the next day and it'd be retroactive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2009