How do I get my 3yr. old to stop sucking her thumb?

rachelsnyder25

Asked by rachelsnyder25 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• There are many differant alternatives to having her not suck her thumb.My mom never has/had a problem with that it was the binky for him.what my mom used to do for me was replace that habit with something else give your baby a sucker or a teething stick instead of a ring but dont freeze it so he/she can suck on it. Or you can smack her hand and tell her NO! but dont hit her hard just a light tap. Or just each time you see her with her thumb in her mouth take it out.
    phoebematthew

Answer by phoebematthew at 12:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• have you thought about that nasty tasting stuff to pute on nails for biting?
    Angie430

Answer by Angie430 at 11:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I adopted a 3-yr-old who's thumb-sucking habit was so bad her nails were deformed & thumbs were raw/bloody. She also dug her index finger into her eye while sucking. She didn't care if her hands had sand, dirt, etc! The bad-tasting stuff didn't phase her. I put socks on her hands (taping them at the wrist to prevent removal), except when she was eating or bathing. This has helped tremendously. I did it consistently for 4 weeks & gave her a binky at night. We still put socks on at night, but not in the day anymore unless we have a stressful event. It was an inconvenience to un-tape & re-tape the socks after every meal, but it was worth it to see her skin healing!
    There is a product called hand-aid that goes over the thumb and wraps around the wrist with a child-proof snap. It prevents sucking, looks nicer, and leaves hands more free, but when she was really stressed she would still bite her thumb over it.
    digiartmom

Answer by digiartmom at 12:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2008