SON HAS FEVER!

my son has 101.3 temp right now. i just gave him some pain reliever/fever reducer. he is about 15 months old. he has a cold right now and may be teething. if temp doesnt go down, at what temp do i take him to the ER?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 103 is what my ped. recommends. I hope your little one feels better soon!!
    Slinkee

Answer by Slinkee at 9:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I agree with the lady above - if it starts heading towards 103, take him to the ER.
    dragonfly7271

Answer by dragonfly7271 at 9:10 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Call your pedi, most say 105 and under
    Anonymous

• If it gets to 103 and WON'T go down with medicine, take him in. If his temp goes back down with meds, don't worry about it.
    If he hits 103 for 3 days in a row (even if it comes back down with meds), take him in.

And remember, a fever is one of the main ways that his body kills off the germs that are making him sick. If you get rid of a low fever, you take away that ability. Would you like to go into a fight with one hand tied behind your back? Of course not. If your son has a fever under 101.5 and seems to feel fine, do NOT give him anything for the fever. If he seems to feel rotten, then sure, go ahead and give him pain meds to ease him aches and pains but do NOT give meds just to treat a low fever.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:33 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• kaycee14...gave your perfect advice. Fevers are not to be feared, it's what's causing the fever.

Right now his temp is fine for his age. Just let him rest, give him fluids etc...

I would wait the night out and see how it is tomorrow over rushing him tonight to the ER. They won't really do much and right now he would just be exposed to more germs.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2008