changing the terms of an apartment lease....

**sorry not really money and work but none of these categories fit**

my identity was stolen last weekend and the thief has been sending me things with MY own money like flowers and photos. i just signed a new lease (like 1.5 weeks ago) for feb 09-feb 2010. my husband is deployed and i really want to move to post housing since i feel my safety and the safety of my kids is being compromised. post can not put us into housing until possibly april 2009. is there any way i can talk the apt management into letting us switch to a month to month contract?

pinkbubbles79

Asked by pinkbubbles79 at 9:11 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Money & Work

• Have you explained the situation to them? If you have, then I would think they would be willing to work with you. If you haven't, I would explain it before you ask for the change in terms, so they will understand why you are asking. If you just say "I want to change the terms so I can move into base housing", they might just say no. But if you explain you are afraid for your safety and you are trying to protect your family, they might be more understanding. Plus, in today's sue-happy society, they may figure it would be a good idea so you can't try to sue them later if something happened.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:43 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I'm sure if you discussed your situation with the landlord, it might work, you may have to pay a little extra because your breaking your contract, but thats mostly all they can legally ask from you.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:17 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• good point about the sue thing!
    pinkbubbles79

Answer by pinkbubbles79 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• if you find someone to take over your lease, you can move. just put an ad on CL or ask your management company to let potential renters know
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 12:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2008