Moms with young/preteen/teen girls - - -

a really good CD for young girls (I am starting my 5 year old on it) is SuperChick Regeneration. It is a Christian band with a more contemporary almost pop/punk/rock feel to it and is really catchy. Not all of the songs are about "Christian" related matters but some do reference God *we are religious so it fits my family really well but would also be ok for a family who isn't as religious* It's a good conversation starter for difficult topics and morals. Just wanted to share :)

NessGuinness

Asked by NessGuinness at 12:14 AM on Aug. 5, 2011 in General Parenting

• Thanks! I'll definetly check it out for my 5 girls.
    Truluv4ever

Answer by Truluv4ever at 12:29 AM on Aug. 5, 2011

• Not meaning to bash just an honest question- Why not just start the conversation normally?
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:21 AM on Aug. 5, 2011

• Go ahead - I dont mind - This is just the approach that I am taking with my DD - I didn't say you HAVE to do it this way, as a matter of fact I didn't even TELL you to open this post.
    NessGuinness

Comment by NessGuinness (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Aug. 5, 2011

• I really honestly wasn't bashing. It's a serious question. I just think it would be a lot less work with the same results, unless I'm wrong. I was asking you for your opinion; to enlighten me. Why do you prefer to take this route? Do you feel it has more benefits? my children haven't reached this stage yet and I sinply want to be prepared with a variety of viewpoints.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 11:18 AM on Aug. 6, 2011

• I chose to start this way because its a fun spin to a number of very delicate topics - not just sex. A lot of kids - I know from my own experience with myself and my own peers - that I was not comfortable talking with my parents about things, we had a GREAT relationship and still do but it is so much nicer knowing that this isn't just Mom or Dad trying to tell me these things because they don't want me to have fun or they don't know what it's like. There is a song called Princes and Frogs and it's entire message is that while all princes start as frogs some frogs will still be frogs so look into his eyes are you a princess or a fly. DD is only 5 and she loves the songs for the fun lyrics and when she is ready she will ask appropriate questions and I will answer them honestly. The other day she asked about another song called Barlow Girl (the Barlow Girls are three sisters who are well known artists in Christian music)
    NessGuinness

Comment by NessGuinness (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Aug. 8, 2011

• who did not give into any of the pressures of dating/sex before marriage/dressing slutty/etc. and the song on this CD is about how any girl can be a "barlow girl" it says they are ordinary girls they dont flaunt what the guys what more and I know for sure while it's never popular to be pure and while some guys might be passing them by I think they caught someones eye - All the boys in the band want a valentine from a Barlow girl - boys think their the bomb they remind them of their mom. DD asked what it was talking about and I explained how the Barlow girls dont wear the low cut shirts and booty shorts and some boys might not want to date them because they aren't "sexy" some boys DO actually LIKE the girls for who they are which is good people. Another positive aspect of the CD is that it is kind of like subliminal messages (lol sorry about spelling) but DD is singing these songs starting at 5 yrs old daily and LOVES them I
    NessGuinness

Comment by NessGuinness (original poster) at 12:27 PM on Aug. 8, 2011

• cant help but think that eventually that message will help shape who she is in the future. DD is technically DSD (stepdaughter) her BM is not a good influence for multiple reasons so DH and I felt DD needed as many positive role models in her life as possible so instead of listening to and learning from Lady Gaga for example about sex and fashion through music we would much rather have her learn from and look up to SuperChick, Barlow Girl and Point of Grace
    NessGuinness

Comment by NessGuinness (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Aug. 8, 2011