what do i do if my stepson doesn't like my son

StrongMomOf2

Asked by StrongMomOf2 at 9:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I don't know if there is anything you can do. You can't force it. I would just let them know that they have to be respectful of each other. Maybe as they get older things will change. I had three step sisters and only got along with one.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• If you really think about it, if you had siblings did you like them much? I didn't like my sister and still don't. I like my stepsister, but I don't think the feelings are mutual. Time will play a big role in this, they may need a while to adjust.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• there isn't much you can do other than be sure they respect each other, and try not to take sides. Blended families are a lot of work, it hard enough to get everyone to tolerate each other, much less like each other. But don't feel bad biological siblings fight all the time too, in due time they will learn to accept and maybe even love each other.  big smile mini

combster

Answer by combster at 10:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Whatever you do, don't compare them openly to each other. Like saying "Why can't you be more like your sibling?". ihated that and it made things much worse!
    Nassau_Bay_Mom

Answer by Nassau_Bay_Mom at 5:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Deal with it, honestly. Don't try to sugar up to him, he'll see right through it. Be consistent with how you treat him and react to him. Don't try to push it. If he wants to, he'll come around. If you're new in his life, he hasn't learned to trust you yet and probably looks at you as an interruption.
    Lizzysapisces

Answer by Lizzysapisces at 6:33 PM on Dec. 25, 2008