Who is well aware their kids are spoiled?!

I was one of those moms who yelled in Wal-Mart today! lol. I came to the realization that my daughter was S-P-O-I-L-E-D mid-isle tonight. She had just gotten back from Christmas at my MIL's where she got a Tinkerbell movie, a Tinkerbell bath set, and Tinkerbell dress-up...she started having a fit because I wouldn't buy her some toy she saw on the shelf! A good old fashioned fit at that! I know it doesn't help that she had her stomach full of sugar, but ooohhhh lord I tell you what, she was "informed" that she was spoiled and that the snacks I had just put in the cart for her were going back on the shelf. I was so frustrated!! What have you guys done to straighten out your spoiled children?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in General Parenting

• Our daughter has been our pride and joy.. love her more then anything.. we would give her anything whenever she wanted... and now she is almost 3 and we finally see what is has done to her... We dont cave in to her anymore and he fits are the worst.. i sometimes think there is something wrong with her.. i feel bad but sometimes you have to be strong! We are not battling with her all the time because she fights us in everything and then screams and cries! Good Luck!
    BallardMomma

Answer by BallardMomma at 9:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I don't have that problem yet, but at 6 mos we are having tempertantrums and I just ignore her and make no eye contact until she has calmed herself. I don't know if that sounds terrible but I don't want to have those tantrums in public as she gets older. I wish you all the luck in trying to break the behavior.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• honestly i have never had that problem my kids know not to act out in public. cuz i can embarrass you more than you can me
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My son is 5 now...but from the time he was very small until now.....I do a little learning game with him.....I hand him a toy and he plays with it for a while when we are shopping....then I say, "we dont always buy toys do we, today we are not buying a toy, tell the toy good bye" and we put it back and wave at it and say "see ya next time"

I am trying to teach him that its ok to leave it, even though he may like it.....and he has never thrown a tantrum....(knock on wood)

Its so hard for little ones to see all the GREAT toys they have out now and not want them....I guess toy manufacterers really have done their job!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:58 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• When my boys were young, around 3 or 4, I would leave carts full of stuff in the store and walk out and finish another day. And if they throw a fit, or cause any kind of scene, they get NOTHING!! Idle threats do NOT work!! They are still spoiled, but they know no means no.
    Anonymous

• I just look at everything she has and gets to do and I think back to when I was growing up. I didn't have a great childhood, so if I would have had these opportunities and things, I would have thought I was growing up in Disney Land...she could care less. I will say that she is usually good in the store and doesn't think she needs everything she sees or touches, but she is constantly asking to do more or have more than she already does. If we go to her cousin's ballet recital, she wants ballet lessons even though she does gymnastics. If she plays with something at a friend's house, she will think she has to have it. I don't give in, but it doesn't stop her from begging for it! OMG. It drives me frickin crazy.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:06 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• YUP got a SPOILED 15 year old boy! And he knows it too, he has told his friends he knows exactly what he is getting for Christmas because he asked for it, yeah well he'll have a surprise cuz he doesn't know about the other big gift he's getting that he is saving his money for and I just want him to have one surprise! Oh wait I guess that's feeding into the spoiling- oh well it's my kid!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 10:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I shop with a list and inform them at home, in the parking lot, and before we start that we are only buying whats on mommy's list. Then if they ask for something, I tell them "let me see if its on my list". Sometimes they get it sometimes not. This has worked well for the drama queen princess who thinks the world is hers.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 10:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• LOL it doesn't seem like she's too spoiled! You handled the situation great at Walmart ...if she was truly a spoiled brat you would have given in! My daughter is 17 months so she's not too spoiled yet ..but her daddy does/will treat her like a princess ...I will be the enforcer of rules ...UGH!
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 11:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My sons are spoiled but my oldest does things to deserve everything he gets. He can be a little bad but for the most part he's incredibly well behaved and does terrific in school. So he earns most of it:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 12:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2008