Fever?

How high dose a fever haft to get for a child ages 0-3 before it is considered dangeres?

annamiller06

Asked by annamiller06 at 10:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Health

• Newborns temps can not get very high. Any temp in a baby under 3 months is serious.

Over that it depends. Children can have high temps of 104-105 and be fine...but it's finding out what the cause is when it is that high. The fever itself is not the problem.

Over 105 is serious and would need medical attention.

When my daughter was younger before we knew she had a fever disorder she frequently got 104-105 fevers. They would just to make sure there was no infection and then we were sent home. She did have some febrile seizures, which are harmless but very scary and we did call 911. Later we found out she had a rare condition that caused her fevers.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 10:15 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My son has run a fever as high as 105.8 and I panicked and called the Dr. and they told me to give him a cool bath....

If you take them to the hospital like that they will just ice them down....you can do the same thing at home...

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:12 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Any fever in 0-3 is dangerous-like a pp said.... Any fever over 104 CAN cause brain damage.
    Mummyofone

Answer by Mummyofone at 1:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I would say 104-105 like others have said. Young babies however should not be runnning a fever that high, they should still have enough immunity built up from the mother. You just want to make sure the fever does not go up quickly, my daughter had febrile seizures when she was little and I learned it is not because of how high the fever is but because of how quickly the temp goes up. If it starts to rise quickly you want to gove them a tepid bath to cool the body then seek medical attention. Febrile seizures are very scary for the parents but do not cause damage to the child.

A fever is actually a good thing, our bodies raise in temperature to try to kill off any microorganisms that are causing the illness, or to prevent their further growth. You usually want to wait until a fever is 101 to give any motrin or tylenol so that the body can do it's job.
    jordanmarie2000

Answer by jordanmarie2000 at 3:05 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Call the dr. It can depend. When my son was 3 he had a fever of 105.7 and the dr said to just give his cool baths and give him lots of fluids. It lasted 2 days but he was fine the third day.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 1:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2008