How do you get your toddler to sleep through the night

My 15 month old has slept through the night (more than 4 hours) 3 times in her life. She has been sick most of her life with either colds, ear infections (10, just got tubes) or teething. Now she is just in the habit of waking up every 4 hours. How do I get her to sleep through the night!!

BeavertonMommie

Asked by BeavertonMommie at 1:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You need to set up a routine at night. For instance, dinner, bath, book, bed. Don't change it no matter how much she fusses. If she wakes up during the night take her back to bed. Do NOT make eye contact or talk to her when taking her back to bed unless she had a nightmare or something. Talking and making eye contact stimulates them and they will be less likely to fall back asleep.
    QueenWeibchen

Answer by QueenWeibchen at 1:55 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I agree with the routine. You will have to teach her good sleep habits. I have twins and I started putting them to bed around the same time each night. If they cried I would wait a little while then go check on them. I never got them out of the bed (unless they were just beyond themselves, but that never really happened) and I would just check on them and maybe sing or rub their back. I would not do the same thing each time because you do not want them to get another sleep crutch. In the long run it was the best thing I ever did for them and myself. They are now able to get themselves to sleep without any aides. You just have to be patient and disciplined. I recommend the book "Good Night, Sleep Tight" by Kim West. My pediatrician recommended it to me and it is a really good book. I hope I was able to help.
    leshee

Answer by leshee at 2:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• She has a very good routine, for going to bed, it is when she wakes up when we cant get her back to bed. She doesn't just fuss she screams when she wakes up, and does this until we pick her up, and sometimes she still screams. How do we get around this??
    BeavertonMommie

Answer by BeavertonMommie at 1:03 PM on Jun. 20, 2008