Any suggestions? My son is 4 months old and breastfed. I need to start bottle feeding him b/c I am returning to work. He will not take a bottle at all. How can I get him to take a bottle?

He won't take a pacifier either, since day one, he chewed on it and then spit it out. He is now doing the same thing with the bottle. We used breastmilk in about 4 different types of bottles and still no luck. My husband even tried to feed him from the bottle. I even started breastfeeding and then tried the bottle. I don't know what to try next. Any suggestions will greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

sdesireem

Asked by sdesireem at 10:21 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you tried the Breast Flow bottles? I'd give them a try. My son liked it.
    Anonymous

• Or the playtex drop in's with the bigger nipples.
    Anonymous

• No I haven't tried Breast Flow! I will see where I can get them. I have tried the drop in's by playtex and evenflow, playtex ventaire and soothies. We had those from our 1st son. No luck with those at all. HE just chews and makes a face and then pushes it out of his mouth.Thanks for the idea, I will definitely try it!
    sdesireem

Answer by sdesireem at 10:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Are you anywhere nearby when the bottle is given? That can be the biggest problem...babies know that mom has the good stuff and will turn up their little noses at bottles if mom's about.

Hand baby to dad and leave. And know that babies don't starve themselves. Often they will just wait for mom to come home instead.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My baby takes the Breastflow bottles- we get them at Target or BabiesRUS but we introduced them early on.
    I think you just need to keep trying.
    You can either try when he is really hungry and see if he will take it for hunger
    Or give it when he is not starving and see if he is happier
    Some people try when they are kind of sleepy and they don't care as much

My SIL had to just start my niece on a sippy cup early on and kind of pour it in her mouth. They also introduced food early because this method didn't work so great to get much fluid in and she was still hungry.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I finally found a babies r us that had a breastflow bottle. I am going to leave this evening and let my husband try to give him the bottle. That might be some of the problem b/c before I was sitting right next to him. Thanks so much for the ideas!
    sdesireem

Answer by sdesireem at 2:09 PM on Dec. 23, 2008