does you SO avoid going to the doctor?

my husband insists on not going, even for a check up. he thinks that what he doesnt know wont hurt him. hes physically fit and healthy, nearly 30 but hasnt so much as checked his blood pressure in forever. i grew up in a doctors office because of all my health problems so im used to them
now that we have children i think we should be as healthy as possible to be with our children for as long as we can and i think part of that is going to routine checkups. he swears that if he finally goes to a doctor that will be the day that something bad shows up
maybe im just paranoid

has anyone gone through the same thing?

learae

Asked by learae at 10:36 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Relationships

• Mine doesn't like to go when he's sick--but when he's hurting bad enough he'll suck it up and go (has to be pretty severe though).

He's fine for going for a yearly physical...
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 10:39 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Some men think going to the doctor is a sign of weakness or some shizz. It's stupid, but true lol.

My boyfriend has avoided going for a routine checkup because he's afraid of paying his insurance premium.
    I remind him all the time how lucky he is to have insurance. He gets it through work, and if they're taking it out of his paycheck...he should use it.
    I don't have any at all >:(
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:40 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Neither me nor my husband goes to the doctor. I think the last time I went was like 1991 when I was in the Army. Other than having my kids or going to the ER for kidney stones, I haven't gone. My husband doesn't feel the need either.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My SO never goes. He had an infection in his wisdom teeth and I had to use force to get him to go to the doctor. I think he's been twice in the 4 yrs. we've been together.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:02 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Mine has to be knocking on death's door to go to the doctor.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 11:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Mine has been to the doctor once since his sports physical in high school and that was when I made him go after he was near death with lyme disease after a tick bite! I'm going to have to trick him into going to the dentist soon...he would never go by his own will.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:34 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My husband hasn't seen a doctor since he was 18 in 2000! I couldn't imagine going 8 years without seeing a doctor. I ask him to go just to get a routine physical once a year, and he gets pissed. Alot of men are like this, I think.
    beforeyoureyes

Answer by beforeyoureyes at 5:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well, it is possible to be paranoid about it, but a yearly or bi yearly physical won't hurt him. My doc likes to run a lot of unnecessary bloodwork every time my dh goes. Its just a pain to us because it costs us a couple of hundred dollars (thats our part) and hes healthy. Moderation is the key here. My dh is never sick...never, but he hurt his back a few years ago and I made him go then and he had tendonitis in his wrist. Other than that, he won't go and I am not bugging him about it. We both need to go to the dentist. I am not one for fixing something thats not broke. Just use good common sense about it.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:42 PM on Dec. 23, 2008