Colds

I do believe that cold medecines are dangerous that's why i dont give them to my 15 mo.Old daughter,can anyone suggest an alternative for cold medecines?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just use a humidifier...and plenty of liquids..and love.

however..i do give them tylnol at that age when they were sick.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:00 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Use a humidifier or stick her in the bathroom with you with the door shut and the shower running hot to create the same effect. Use vapor rub on her chest. Use saline drops in the nose...you can even make them yourself if you don't have any.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 11:01 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I like the johnson vapor bath. My doc told me to put vapor rub on the feet, not the chest. Real chicken broth nice and warm is good, too. Opens things up. I also like the saline sprayer thing that shoots it for you.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:03 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• My daughter always seems to have a cough, as the kids at daycare just seem to keep passing it back and forth to one another. I almost always give her tylenol to help with the sore throat from coughing and her runny nose... the typical cold symptoms. We don't have a humidifier so I haven't tried that out, so I can't give you my opinion on it, but I've read it on a few websites that it's a good thing to have.
    MommyandWifey07

Answer by MommyandWifey07 at 12:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Steam them in the bathroom a couple times a day if you can (at least once). Suction their noses with a snot sucker or have them blow.

Give Tylenol for discomfort.

Run either a steam or cool mist humidifier in their room.

Elevate the head of their bed so they're not laying flat (I fold a towel and place it under the mattress)

Push fluids/let them drink all they want. It helps keep the snot "flowing" and not getting stuck in the sinus cavities. Also use a saline nose spray/drop.

Watch/listen for the croupy cough or for stridor. Call the doctor if stridor develops.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2008