When to call the doctor?? Sick Kiddo's...

Well 20 month old and my five year old have this nasty cough going on. It started with my daughter and now my son is sick. They both have coughs and yucky green snotty noses. I called yesterday to try to get an appt to take them in but the doc on call would not give me the referral, she told me to push fluids and give them honey for the cough. They both have had fever's off and on. Tricare requires the referral if going somewhere other than clinic.

I do not want them to be sick on Christmas. I feel bad for them because you can look at them and see they do not feel well. So how long do I wait she was saying that it could take a week or longer for them to get better but I do not remember waiting it out like this with my seven year old. I do not remember my mom not taking me in.

There is so much crap going around here landing little ones in the hospital.

spunkymomof3

Asked by spunkymomof3 at 11:18 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call again and take them in if you're that concerned. If nothing else, they can check their lungs and ears to make sure nothing else is going on....but it does take a week or two for a cold to get better....and there is a lot of crap going around. (I had to take my son to the ER yesterday in white out conditions for croup!)

Steam them in the bathroom a couple times a day if you can (at least once). Suction their noses with a snot sucker or have them blow.

Give Tylenol for discomfort.

Run either a steam or cool mist humidifier in their room.

Elevate the head of their bed so they're not laying flat (I fold a towel and place it under the mattress)

Push fluids/let them drink all they want. It helps keep the snot "flowing" and not getting stuck in the sinus cavities. Also use a saline nose spray/drop.

Watch/listen for the croupy cough or for stridor. Call the doctor if stridor develops.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• aww..i wouldnt wait it out,..but thats just me.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 11:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• this is what's going around here too, and really you can't do anything for it but what your dr already recommended. if you really think it's that bad, i'd call first thing tomrrow AM so you can get them to be seen before christmas, just tell them look, i'd feel better having them seen since the cough is so awful.
    i will tell you DH required ABX...whereas the kids adn i shrugged it off after a few days with little more than motrin. good luck!
    jess237

Answer by jess237 at 12:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well since tomorrow is Monday you should be able to get in right ? Was it just because it was a weekend ? Call first thing in the morning for a joint appointment and don't forget to mention they blew you off this weekend. I would have them checked, since it will be Christmas. This way they can decide if it needs meds or just time. Unless tomorrow morning things seem better.

If you go, I would personally keep the baby in the stroller when you go and avoid the kids touching everything and then have them wash or use an alcohol based sanitizer when you leave. This way they don't pick up something worse there. Because believe me everyone at the pedi's this week will probably be sick !

J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Cont...None of us have been sick until yesterday when my son started coming down with this croup like cough and fever....the only same random illness he does catch. I am like "NOOOOO" too because this is the first year in a long time my husband is off for both Christmas eve and Christmas. Also we do Hanukkah which started tonight. I don't think in his 6.5 years of life he has been sick at Christmas...grrr.....

Anyway I hope they get better soon !!!
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Oh and avoid dairy for the next few days. I am not sure if there is proof, but I think it makes congestion worse. Not sure but it's worth a test to push more juice, water etc..instead.

I wouldn't let them just hand you Antibiotics either if you think they are just giving them for no reason and if they do need them, get some yogurt so they can have probiotics. Antibiotics kill the good bacteria in your gut causing diarhhea etc...

LOL..this is the most I have answered a question on here, so I hope I was helpful.
    J9Mommy

Answer by J9Mommy at 12:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2008