best way to wash clothes

ok, so hubby and i are disagreeing. you guys help.
what is the best way to wash clothes, to save money? do a load a night, or do all the laundry on one day? typically, i will wash all the laundry on sundays. and maybe one load during the week. hubby says it costs us more to do it that way, because the water co. charges off the days with the most usage. So if i wash a load a night, it wont cost as much. isn't that the same amount of water being used? i mean, it still takes 22 gallons a load, if i do it all at once, or one load a night. i only wash in cold water too, to help ease the gas bill!! i washed clothes in hot water last month, and cooked turkey day dinner at my house, and my gas bill was $300!! so we are in conservation mode.
what do you guys think? what do you do??

MONHOLLENMOM

Asked by MONHOLLENMOM at 11:20 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i do all mine in one day but sometimes i have to do one during the week i think its the same
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:23 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I scatter, what I can do in a day varies!!! But let me know if you find a "Money Saver" way of doing things, don't know how to answer you!!
    jennieo622

Answer by jennieo622 at 11:27 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I do all mine on Sunday as well. The same amount of water is used. The biggest difference is that on Sundays, as opposed to during the week, I can make the KIDS DO IT! That is worth any difference in cost.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:28 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I do mine all one day because of the drying, not the water. It takes less time to dry loads back to back because the dryer is already warm. Less time=less energy.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 11:31 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Your water company does things in a way I've never heard of before...generally you get charged by the amount of water used, not *when* it's used. Take a look at the water bill. If the billing is by unit used, then hubby is incorrect.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:37 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I've never heard of a water company charging more during certain times, but I do know that there are areas where they have to conserve water more and maybe they do there....

I try to do a load a day, because I hate folding clothes for hours on end. But it never seems to work out that way. I did 7 loads of laundry today =)
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:00 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I do it at night or weekends...best not to during the week mid day..its not just water but electricity...my bill stays down....I usually dont do it all in one day...only because that is a lot of folding and putting away....YUCK
    surpriseat41

Answer by surpriseat41 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I do laundry whenever I can -- during the week and on my days off.
    A gas saving tip is to wash all clothes in cold water. They all come out just as clean. For colors I use a generic color "bleach" like Clorox II to help with any powerful odors or stains.
    Electric saving tips - during the summer months, do your laundry early in the morning or in the evening when the electric usage in the city/town is at its lowest so you can conserve. Also, try to hang-dry as many clothes as you can. What I do is hang dry a lot of our tops and once they are dry, if they are sort of stiff, I throw them in the dryer on the low cycle for about 15 minutes to soften them up and take out the wrinkles.
    You also do not need to use softener on all your loads. By cutting it out of your towel washes, your towels will absorb the water off your body and off the dishes more effectively.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2008