Has anyone experienced Beau's lines (horizontal grooves) on their fingernails?

For those of you who don't know, they're horizontal (side to side) depressions/waves/or grooves in the nail bed. About a month ago, I discovered them on both of my thumbnails.

I've researched it and know that it can represent past stress to the body. Considering where they are on my thumbnails, the timing correlates to an oral surgery I had that went completely wrong (I suffered from infection and nerve damage), so I'm attributing those to that incident. However, now my right thumbnail consistently grows out with them. None of my other nails are affected, which is what is odd to me. From what I've read, if it was due to a deficiency or illness, all nails would have them. I'm curious, if any of you have experienced this in one or more nails and were seen by a doctor, did you find a reason why they were occurring? Mine aren't severe, but they're there. I'm wondering if I should make an appointment with the doctor or not. Should I be worried? Thanks!

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 3:02 PM on Aug. 5, 2011 in Health

• I have, and only on my thumbs. I have one thumb that has had them almost all the time for the past few years, and the other thumb which had them only last year, and I don't know why.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:07 PM on Aug. 5, 2011

• Thanks JulieJacobKyle. Do you have overall good health?
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:13 PM on Aug. 5, 2011

• I have it one my right index finger. It should up about a year ago, after I moved out of my old home because of my divorce.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:19 PM on Aug. 5, 2011

• Well, I have a genetic blood clotting disorder, but it's under control. It basically puts me at higher risk for blood clots. I've had some issues with one kidney, and some other minor stuff. Nothing out of the ordinary, nothing of major concern.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:22 PM on Aug. 5, 2011

• Oh and most importantly, no major changes during the years I've had the Beau's lines.
    JulieJacobKyle

• I have them on both thumbs. I just assumed it was part of getting older.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:31 PM on Aug. 5, 2011

• Well, I'm glad to know that it's more common than I thought. Thanks ladies! I'll let you all know if the doctor says anything the next time I go. Hopefully it's nothing major!
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Aug. 5, 2011