HOW DO I GET A SIX YEAR OLD TO LISTEN BETTER?

katherine79

Asked by katherine79 at 11:48 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• talk really quiet, they will stop and listen. It works really.
    Anonymous

• try time outs, goes by age, when he doesn't do what you tell him to, you give him a warning, "im gonna ask you one more time, if you don't do as i say you will go in time out, " ask him to do it again, if he doesnt, time out, (6 min.) sometimes they wont go into the timeout chair/space/mat(whatever you choose), in which you physically put them in time out, if they run, put them back, if they keep running you may have to hold them there,
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• continue......dont tell them they are bad just tell them they need to listen and when he can sit like a big boy you will let him, dont let him con you to let him sit alone, he will swear up and down he will sit there, just tell him then next time you wont have to help him sit :) ive done this lots, when he gets out tell him to do what you asked earlier, if he doesnt well, repeat :) it will take a couple days, maybe even a week or so but they will und4erstand you mean what you say and wll do what you say good luck
    Trinity32188

• I find that being consistant in what happens when directions are not followed, helps so much!

MomaSee

Answer by MomaSee at 3:11 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• lol, sounds like a typical 6 year old.

I worried that my son was deaf, because he wouldn't hear the phone ring next to him when he was watching TV. It turns out that kids of this age had "selective hearing" and it's a physical thing.. his brain was relating the importance of an event (ie: telephone not for him, not important) and blocking the sound if it wasn't relevant. I thought it was rubbbish, but turns out it's the real deal.

i've learned to not sweat the small stuff.. bad behaviour i won't tolerate, but little things not so much..
    try this.. when you talk to the child, ask him or her to focus on you,and if necessary, repeat what you said.. if they get used to repeating it, they automatically listen harder.
    But also the "low talk" works wonders :)
    S
    sarahturbo79

Answer by sarahturbo79 at 9:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• 6 year olds are suppose to listen??? LOL

I have problems with my girls not listening too. I repeat my directions. I tell them first then repeat.
    for example: we need to pick up and then we can go shopping, but clean up first.
    Good luck.
    dle4125

Answer by dle4125 at 9:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• TRY GIVING HIM INSTRUCTIONS AND THEN HAVING HIM REPEAT IT BACK TO YOU . MY SON IS 8 AND HAS PROBLEMS WITH IS SHORT TERM MEMORY . THAT IS WHAT HIS COUNCLER TOLD ME ALSO SHORT DOSES OF INSTRUCTIONS WORK BEST I HAVE FOUND THIS OUT MY SELF .
    SWAN923

Answer by SWAN923 at 12:15 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• When you find out, let me know. LOL. My son talks all of the time and will not listen to me.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• Good luck lol... I have a 6 yr old daughter and also a 10 yr old daughter and neither one listen and it just keeps getting worse as they get older then when you yell at them they get mad and tell you You don't love them anymore because your yelling at them try the 1 2 3 count that seem to work sometimes for me and if that doesn't work take something away that they really like till they listen Good luck once again
    my2angelgirls10

Answer by my2angelgirls10 at 9:23 PM on Dec. 25, 2008

• My daughter is 6 and from what the other parents at karate have told me it is just the way it is. Okay the fact of the matter is at 6 they are so atune to so many things going on around them that they are almost over stimulated. I like the talking softly idea... I'm totally trying it tomorrow because yelling doesn't work!
    njmissmommy

Answer by njmissmommy at 1:10 AM on Dec. 26, 2008