How would you handle this scenario?

I am going for an interview to be a secretary/bookkeeper at an elementary school tomorrow morning and am reading over some sample questions I might be asked, and this is one of them:

How would you handle this scenario?

You have a crying child, a parent, a teacher and the bus radio all needing your attention at the same time. Who do you handle first and why?

I am thinking the crying child, because they may be hurt or something, and children should come first, but then the bus radio, what if it is an emergency and they have to have help-although then there should be others listening to the radio who can help, but I don't know.....how would you handle it?

soccerchik8287

Asked by soccerchik8287 at 11:50 PM on Dec. 21, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• the bus to see if it was a emer. also there are more kids. then the one in front of you.
    then the child.
    then the parent

b4 answering ask them is there kids on the bus ;-)
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:52 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• Handle the crying child first. If the child is crying your not going to be able to handle anyone or anything else. Then handle the bus radio, then the teacher, then the parent. I go in order of importance for that moment.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:53 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• wait... ask the teacher to see the kid while you get the radio...then the teacher then the parent
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:54 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• The child, if it was an emergency the bus driver wouldn't radio the school. I agree with South.

Anonymous

• but wouldnt the teacher have more time to talk then the parent who might have a apt she needs to get a child too
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 11:55 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• 1. The child
    2. Bus radio
    3. Parent

The crying child may be in need of immediate medical care. If the bus driver is capable of communication and in need of help immediately, s/he would have called 911 first. However, the bus should receive priority over a parent since children are involved. The parent can wait because they are well aware that, as educators, our top priority is ALWAYS the welfare of our children.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 11:56 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• I would first check to see if the child is crying for a reason that may need your immediate attention, this would only take a few seconds, then I would see if the parent's needs are urgent, and if not, politely let them know that I would get back to them shortly. Then I would check the bus radio and handle their problems, then get back to the parent. The teacher would come last, simply because if it were an emergency, they would have gone elsewhere and the teacher always has the luxury of working in the building and being able to come back for help if I were to take too long. The parent may have pressing issues, or very little time and I really would not want to piss them off.
    Anonymous

• Oops, totally missed the teacher. But I suppose that speaks volumes b/c the teacher would definitely come last. In fact, with one look, I imagine the teacher would know to help me out by calming the child and acknowledging the parent while I handled the more pressing matters.
    sgalsmommy

Answer by sgalsmommy at 11:59 PM on Dec. 21, 2008

• yes if you have a teacher there i would ask her to find out what was wrong with the child, answer the bus radio, then go back to the child then the parent then the teacher
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You enlist the help of the teacher to check on the crying child while you answer the bus radio call (there could be an emergency on the bus, and the crying child may be sick). After both are handled, you then ask the parent and teacher what their needs are and then prioritize from there.

To me the question is an behavioral interview question: they want to see how you would handle something under pressure and stress. If you try to handle the entire situation by yourself, you will not succeed.
    happymom612

Answer by happymom612 at 8:28 AM on Dec. 22, 2008