How do/did you get your toddler to stay in bed when transitioning from crib? How old?

And how old is/was your child when you made the big switch?

mommacierra

Asked by mommacierra at 12:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• 16 months. started at nap time, had him sleep in his toddler bed at nap, then after a few weeks, had him sleep in his big boy bed at nap and night time. it took a little bit, cuz he kept wanting to get up and play with his toys, but what i did at first was lay him down, leave the room, let him play for about 20 minutes, and went back in there and layed him back down. i did this 3 times, if he wasn't asleep by then, i'd put him in his crib. after about a week or 2 of this, some days he'd fall asleep in his bed, some days i had to put him in his crib, he finally got the picture he was supposed to fall asleep in his big boy bed. after a whole month of him successfully going to sleep in his big boy bed, i took the crib out of his room, and put him to bed in his toddler bed. he had no problem with it, since he was used to it. hope this helps. GL
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Hmm, sounds like a good idea. Except my DD's crib turns into her toddler bed so it'd be hard to take apart and put together her crib everyday.
    mommacierra

Answer by mommacierra at 12:43 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• haha me2... My dd has figured out how to climb out so we practically have her crib mattress on the floor b/c her bed rails come down so low to the ground and the last notches to lower it were still to high. Poor thing.. shes just a little monkey... it looks like shes sleeping in a cage! I hope she transitions well to her toddler bed b/c its a beautiful bed! But im NOT taking it apart everyday. But I might consider using the pack n play if I go that route!
    kelsbecca619

Answer by kelsbecca619 at 12:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• 15 months.
    1st night we put there mattrises on the floor.
    nap the next day was in there bed. yes they got up a few times
    same with at night for a few days.
    now at 17months we close the door turn on the baby monitors. good to go they go to sleep now. Yes every now and again they get up to play i let them... they end up going to bed when ready.

in the mornings they wake up play for a hour knock on the door...we already kenw they were up this is there way letting us know "hey let me out"
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• we bought the $40 bed from k-mart there cute...and takes the crib mattrises...We had to break our crib since ds leg got stuck
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 12:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I know mine won't stay in bed if she has a choice and I see no point in fighting over it. I also know that she would completely quit napping and her daytime behavior would be horrific since she wouldn't be getting enough sleep at night.

She is 29 months and still in her crib. She'll probably be ready by age 3. We'll see. Her crib goes up to 50 pounds so I'm in no hurry.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have no plan at all on switching over to a toddler bed until my ds can climb out, he has made no attempts. Hell, i'd keep him in there till he was 3 if i can!
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 10:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• my twins were 2 when we separated them into separate cribs and about 27 months when we went into toddler beds. the first couple nights were hard, but not too bad. we put a gate on their door so they can't get into the dog's water or the bathroom and they are in the next room from us. they sleep in their own beds and when they wake up they either call for us or they play in their room.
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 12:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2008