Potty Training Question

How do you work with a child who screams when he gets on the potty? I've tried both the big potty and the small potty. He just wants me to hold him. Any advice?

NickyJamesMom

Asked by NickyJamesMom at 1:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It sounds like he isn't ready. Put everything away for at least one month. EVERYTHING - no potty in sight, no storybook, no videos. Just calmly go back to diapers without making any comments. Let him get over his fear and forget about the potty for a while.

After a month, take a look at his overall behavior. Is his answer to everything "NO"? For example, if you ask him if he wants a cookie, is his immediate response "No" followed by a "Yes"? Keep waiting, he's in a negative phase.

Once you think he is ready to try again, bring out both the potty and the adaptor. When it is time for him to sit on the potty, give him a choice of which one to use. In a happy voice, say, "It's time to try to go peepee. which potty do you want to use this time?"

Good luck!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 1:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Use a small potty that fits on the big one, so he doesn't feel like he is going to fall in. If you feel like training twice, you can buy a childs potty that goes on the floor and you dump it each time. My husband hated this idea, so only my first child used a child potty, my other two used a Dora potty ring that fit on the big toilet. Also giving your child a book to look at or a toy to hold might calm his fears. I also sang to my kids fun songs they knew like ABC's or Twinkle, Twinkle...Good Luck
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 1:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i would suggest trying to distract him. Make up a potty song, to the tune of any of hte kids songs.. Twinkle twinkle works pretty well.. Dance around in the bathroom while he is on the potty, anything that distracts him.
    If that doesnt work, hold his hand? But if he still screams when put on the potty he just might not be ready. Leave it alone for two weeks and then try it again...
    Mommy2girls0207

Answer by Mommy2girls0207 at 1:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My son was like that at first! I bribed him with bubbles! That worked he LOVES bubbles so I'd offer bubbles just to get him to sit on the toilet. So, first we'd just sit there and blow bubbles, even if he didn't do anything...just to get used to sitting on the toilet. Then I started only blowing bubbles if he peed or pooped. We also read books, play patty cake and sing songs. DS is 23mo now, he's not really potty trained, but I have a feeling it won't be much longer.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 9:39 AM on Dec. 22, 2008