What can I expect for my 1 yr olds first day at daycare? Any tips or advice?

My son is starting daycare 2x/wk tomorrow and I am VERY nervous. anything to help his day go smoother? anything I can do to make my first day of work and first day without my son easier?

DIETITIANMAMA

Asked by DIETITIANMAMA at 12:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• This will be harder on you than him, but if he cries (he probably will) keep your exit short and to the point. Don't go back and pick him up and then try to leave again. Kiss, hug, tell him you love him bunches, tell him you will be back, and then leave. Don't look back! He will cry and so will you, but do it. Call the daycare later and ask how he is doing. It may take him longer to get used to things because he is only going 2x a week, but be positive. Change is hard for everyone. He will adapt. I hope it works out for you, and I promise it does get easier with the passing of some time.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 12:56 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Hi my name is Carrie I work at an in home daycare. Just about every year a new kid comes and goes. I have heard alot of stories about some day-cares all the kids do is watch TV or hang out. Really look into it find out if they take trips how many kids go to this daycare and I would recommend sitting in with her on the first day and maybe leaving them there for two hours than four hours and just add a little each day till they get comfortable.. It will be scary for her/him and for yourself but knowing you checked it out will help.

Good luck and I hope I helped a little,        Carrie

CarrieErb

Answer by CarrieErb at 1:07 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• You may want to ask if you could do a couple of dry runs..Take him to the day care a couple of times so he can get familiar with the people and the kids, sit and play with him but not for to long, let him play with the kids, take him to eat lunch there with th other children...its just a little sampler for a smoother transition. Trust me ..the heartbreak will be yours!! It was always 10 times harder on me than the babies.
    s.c.a.r.l.e.t.

Answer by s.c.a.r.l.e.t. at 1:24 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• i was a 1s teacher. say i love you. i will be back. and leave. do not wait around and watch it only makes it harder. i found that a number of my children onnly cried till they saw there parents were gone.. then moved on.
    sailornwife

Answer by sailornwife at 1:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Keep it short and don’t hang around but NEVER sneak out. Always say goodbye and I'll be back later.

While you are at work, try to picture some happy image of him doing something he couldn't do easily at home - him playing with other babies or learning by watching the bigger kids. Don't mention your heartache to your co-workers. It will make you more sad to talk about it at work and many will be in the same spot and won't want to be reminded. Co-workers without kids will not understand or sympathize.

When you pick him up at the end of the day, SLOW DOWN. You will be in a rush to get home but take 5 minutes and greet him. Let him know how glad you are to see him. Ask him if he had fun and if there is anything he wants to show you. He is too little to respond but it will set the pattern. Take the time to let him know that he is more important than racing off to the car.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Talk about it. Mommy is going to go to work, doing ___ and talk a lot about what it is you do.

Arrive early so you don't have to rush off before playing a minute or two.

Say "Mommy is going to leave now and go to work. I will come get you after snack time or dinner time or whatever" Say "I love you, see you soon" and go.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 12:59 AM on Jul. 15, 2008