I'm 19 and I'm 37 weeks pregnant if I breast feed will I lose weight? I loved my body before and I wish I can get it back.

Happy2bemom969

Asked by Happy2bemom969 at 2:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Yes breast feeding helps you get your figure back after the baby is born. But you shouldn't choose to breast feed for that reason... Do it because it's the healthiest thing for the baby... everything else is just a bonus.
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 2:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I lost a lot of weight really quick by breastfeeding. Some people just loose weight fast regardless.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 2:45 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I heard breastfeeding/pumping is good. helps u to lose weight. and it makes u watch what u eat because whatever u eat, ur baby eats. just make sure u have small meals here and there. I'm due tomorrow with my first and I'm planning on pumping breastmilk
    TastyPeach6969

Answer by TastyPeach6969 at 3:19 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i've heard that, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to do more than just that..I didn't breast feed so I don't have any personal experience though
    maderacaligirl

Answer by maderacaligirl at 3:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• breast feeding is one way but cant be the only way u do to lose weight you have to incorporate exercise and proper eating as well
    and i agree with jan0609momma Don't breast feed just for that breast feed for the health of the baby
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 3:46 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• breast feeding helps anyone naturally get their shape back quick..i had my first at 20. i was 98lbs pre preg.. within 6 weeks after she was born i was 120. i was 157 when i had her.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Ha, I say breastfeed to lose weight. Who the hell cares why you're doing it, as long as you are being smart about it, I mean don't smoke or drink while you're nursing. It's like saying well if you're only BFing to lose weight, just formula feed. I was 19 when I had my daughter, I breastfed and dropped the weight immediately. I have a very fast metabolism though, and am naturally very thin because of it. Good luck with the new baby.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• also..its usually that easy with your first...it took me 2 years to get down to 118 with my 2nd..and who knows how long it will take me when i pop my 3rd out in april.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• There are a million other reasons to BF, but weight loss is one of them. I gained 32lbs when I was prego with my daughter and I lost all my weight by the time she was 4 weeks old AND now I'm less than I was before! (she's 4.5mo) Good luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 9:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• the bonus is you're young, so you're more likely to bounce right back.

Breastfeeding burns about 500 calories a day, so give yourself enough calories to provide for bub and yourself. and start "trying" to lose weight after about 2 months if you want to.. by walking, swimming, yoga etc. that gives you time to recover and heal. for instance, straight after birth, your uterus will weigh about 2 and 1/2 lb, but after a couple of weeks, it's back down to just 2 oz, and that has nothing to do with diet or exercise.

mostly, enjoy your baby.

While you may get back your pre pregnancy weight, chances are you'll notice that your body just feels different, or has changed in subtle ways. so you never really get "your" body back.

good on you for being sensible though, and asking about it :)
    S
    sarahturbo79

Answer by sarahturbo79 at 9:35 AM on Dec. 22, 2008