What is wrong with this picture?

My husband and I were talking and I don't even know how we got onto this but why is it that the government is giving out coupons for the digital converter boxes so everyone can watch T.V yet people have to go and buy their carbon monoxide and smoke detectors? Wouldnt government funds be better used trying to save lives instead of providing entertainment?

Just a thought.

jordanmarie2000

Asked by jordanmarie2000 at 2:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Not all fire departments give out smoke detectors. Ours is rural, small, and entirely volunteer. Their budget is very limited.

I understand that TV provides the government a way of notifying people about emergencies, but I have friends who don't even own TVs. How many people are killed every year because they don't know about an emergency situation, VS how many are killed every year because of house fires and CO poisoning? It would make more sense for the government to pay for smoke and CO detectors.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree totally with you.... but also they are giving out those gov checks but u still have to pay $14 to get one... why should we have to pay for something that the gov is changing.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:58 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Because it is a government regulated industry which due to government involvement is changing.
    So the only reason we need the converters is because of them.
    I agree with you though. I wonder if you can get them for free.
    I did a web search. It looks as though you may be able to get free smoke detectors through your fire departments and carbon monoxide detectors through local gas companies and or woodstove/fireplace sellers. Worth checking around if you need one.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• GOOD POINT!!!
    rethink911

Answer by rethink911 at 7:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• You know...that is an interesting observation. Alot of back-asswards thinking in Washtingon (or back door deals)
    happymom612

Answer by happymom612 at 8:08 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• When special interest grops and government involvement wins, we all pay. That is why less government involvement in EVERYTHING is better. The National Telecommunications and Information Administration working with broadcast and consumer electronics industries, have managed to convince the government this is what is needed.  Sidebar: If you have cable or satelite, you won't be effected.  It's only if you use an antenna for your tv channels.  The cheapest you can get them for is $10.00.  We got the coupon for my grandmother and went to Kmart and got one.  That's the price for going into technology, I supose.  It could be worse, in UK they pay tax for their tv. (Around $200/year for a color tv). This isn't for cable or anything special JUST for owning a TV.  So no matter what, it could be worse!

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Just a comment: someone mentioned getting the converter boxes for free.......nothing the government does is free! We all pay for it and the development of the program to distribute the boxes and the salaries of the people who give out the boxes, etc, etc, etc. NOTHING is free (except faith!)
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 8:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I think it's important to remember that while TV does provide entertainment it is also considered a mean for people to maintain communication with the outside world. Most of the people that have the TVs that need a converter box are elderly and quite possibly shut ins. The TV is how they find out that a winter storm is coming, a hurricane, or any other kind of an emergency. You may say they could use the radio to get this kind of info, but local TV is more efficient and easier for elderly people to use.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 8:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Its just another way to make money.. Why do the all have to go HD anyway?? When we started loosing channels we just went with Direct tv. If im going to have to pay im going to get ALL the channels and not just 4 or 5.
    neenerashley

Answer by neenerashley at 9:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• If you go to your local Fire department they give out free smoke detectors. at least in my area they do. Also you can go get a carbon monoxide test and radon test from the department of health for a small fee. I think the radon is like 5 dollars and they even do the results for free. I'm not sure how much the carbon monoxide tester is . the police department even does a safe car seat check if its not safe they give you one. Or if you prove that you cannot afford one they will give you one.
    lady-J-Rock

Answer by lady-J-Rock at 9:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2008