My 3 1/2 year old won't potty train. any advice?

My daughter who turned 3 in june will not use the potty! Am I doing something wrong? i went out and bought her the princess potty that plays "royal songs" after she goes potty. She liked that for 2 days then started going in her diaper again. I've even tried putting panties on her so when she pee's it would run down her leg and hopefully disguist her but that didn't work either. Please help! She can't go to preschool until she is out of diapers but it seems like that'll never happen.

Tasha_3_kids

Asked by Tasha_3_kids at 3:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• try telling her if she goes a week with out going in her diaper she will get to pick a toy out at the store....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Typed in a huge reply and its limited to 1000 characters .......uggh and now i have to go to bed, i was only going thru this a few weeks ago, get rid of the nappies/diapers for day time and try pull ups when u are out and undies at home, maybe start a week with pull ups or two weeks at home so she gets used to sitting on the potty and pulling them up and down and put undies on later on .....my little girl gave me a royal time with this at times, i can give u advice if u need it, mine was also late, trained by 3 and a half, started at 3 and 3 mths........it will happen. even tho u think it never will, trust me it will........ when she is ready...try make it fun and no pressure for her....
    helloistaken

Answer by helloistaken at 5:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• also if she wont sit on it if thats what u mean, ( i got that too at times) i dont want to sit on the potty, try sitting her teddy on one ( a toy one) or buy a toilet seat for her, u gotta try it all with these smart little ones.....I would give my little girl a sticker or stamp if she did wee's on it but i would not force her to sit on it u know, didnt wanna make it worse as it was hard enuff...... It will be okay....
    helloistaken

Answer by helloistaken at 5:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Take her to the doctor and make sure there is no physical problem. I doubt that there is. I think she is most likely using this to control her mother. My daughter was not nearly as old as yours when I realized that she was manipulating me by not going. I explained to her that she would be placed on the potty and given the opportunity to use it. If she then wet or messed on herself, she would be soundly spanked. As you might imagine, she did not go in the right place. I spanked her bare bottom as I had promised. It only took that one time. Sometimes, as a parent, you have to establish that you mean business. Otherwise, the child is going to believe that she is in charge.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 9:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My twins were 3 years, 10 months old. One day I told them that I was throwing the diapers away and let them see me do it. We picked out cool undies and they put them on. Then I made a little chart for them. They got one star for pee and two for poo. When they got 10 stars, they got to pick a small prize from a bag. One was trained in 2 days, the other in 5. She will go when she is ready. Has to be on her on time, or it is pointless.
    chasidy

Answer by chasidy at 5:50 PM on Dec. 22, 2008