He cant speak fluently

My 4 yr.Old son cant speak straight sentences,he cant put connections in every word like for "where is daddy?" He would just say "daddy where"?,is it ok to a 4 year old to be like him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My gut says no. Are you correcting him and having him repeat the correct wording?

I'd give the school district special education services a call to have him evaluated for possible speech therapy. (I have two in speech right now)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I also think the answer is No. Have him evaluated by the school district. It could be something simple. My son's ears were plugged for a long time, and the doctors told me to clean them with peroxide and water. I did and then he started speaking correctly. Get his hearing checked along with the eval.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• What does his doctor say?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• contact the local school district to see about speech programs. My son had a delay and now they are releasing him from the program b/c he speaks so well. It's better to be safe than sorry.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 1:28 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I'd say no too b/c we are working with speech issues with our 3 year old. She didn't talk at all except for momma dadda bubby and mamaw papaw until after she turned 2. Then one day she just burst out talking, but there are some speech issues, so we are working with them. Mostly "s, r, ch," that kind of thing, but something I never had to deal with my other kids. You can understand my 18 month old almost better than my 3 year old but she's only been talking about a year, so I feel like her speech has greatly improved. Does your 4 year old suck his thumb or take a pacifier still? Sometimes they are used to having something in their mouth and they learn to talk around it. I'd definitely check into some speech therapy or at least talk to your dr next time you're in there.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 7:58 PM on Dec. 22, 2008