um....how do i ask this.......schedules......

Ok my ds has been off in sleeping and eating habits.........I asked about 2 months ago about putting him on a schedule and got so many dont do it replies i decided not to just go with the flow.....but after 2 months i have decided to give it a try maybe he is the kinda kid who needs structure.....he does have a nightly bedtime routin but how do i do the rest of theday
?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had my children on a schedule and it worked wonders. I never saw the first question so I will try with this one. I don't know why people said don't do it, it makes it easier. do the same thing everyday(feeding,naps, bathing) at the same time everyday. Once your baby gets used to it, it will be so much easier.Adjust his schedule as he gets older. With the holidays being here tho, don't try to stick to it so hard, because it will change due to going places, doing things etc.I can't tell you exactly what and when to do it, thats on you, but, make important things the same everyday. He will even start to looking forward to things.

PS. ALL kids need structure.
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 5:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• It really depends on the child. I think most kids do well with some sort of routine.
    You also have to work within the dynamics of the family. You must teach them and yourself to be flexible so that they can deal with the unexpected things that come up.
    I have a son who has sensory processing disorder who thrives on routines. He is doing very well since I pulled him from school. The last teacher he had was terrible at organization and made the learning experience hell for him. My daughter is highly offended and more of a free spirit. I let her be that way but stress to her the importance of being able to organize herself so that when she is working she will be successful. It helps her to be homeschooled for that reason.
    Just remember, one person's structure is another persons strangulation. All children need their OWN structure and a little guidance from mom.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 5:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have my son on one somewhat. He gets a bath around 8pm and nurses for an hour and goes to bed at 9 .. wakes up anywhere from 7-8 am.. nurses.. poops.. nurses a little more then takes a morning nap depends on how long .. during the day it varies on what he does ..takes an afternoon nap.. nurses.. eats solids.. nurses a little more takes a little nap .. plays and then its bathtime again. and so far it is working WONDERFUL! :-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I totally agree with the previous post. That sounds exactly like the "schedule" my son is on. He kinda makes up the schedule and I try to do the same thing every day. It doesn't have to be exactly at the same time, just the same order and it will usually fall at around the same time everyday.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 1:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well its best to work around the feeding times... A hungry baby will be a crabby sleeper... so I would work from that... your going to want to put him down for a nap after his belly is full. My daughter usually goes to bed around 7pm or 8pm wakes up at around 7am or 8am and takes a nap around noon... but don't push a schedule to much... but having "rough draft" does help. So just watch him and see what time does he tend to get tired? Go off that and eating and just slowly work into it. My baby only naps once a day usually.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 2:05 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i cant believe people were telling you to not use a schedule, being on a schedule is very important, it helps them to feel safe and have consistency, i have my daughter on one and she knows when bedtime is and when all her feedings are due lol, she is 10 months old, it really helps : )
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2008

• by all means feed your son when he is hungry, im not saying not to lol, just incase it came out that way : ) just try to do the best schedule you can, likee bedtimes and reading to him and baths and whatnot :)
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:39 AM on Dec. 23, 2008