My son is so hard to feed

My 4 year old son is very hard to feed,He doesnt eat by himself,i always have to put foods in his mouth and ask him to chew and swallow it fast coz he usually chews the food for a minute,so long! Im losing my patience feeding him,what shall i do? I need help please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is there a developmental reason he's not feeding himself? I ask because I don't even feed my 2 year old...

If there is no developmental delay......

Put the food on the table and leave it. If he wants to eat, he can feed himself. He'll probably only miss one meal....he won't starve.

Give what you think is a reasonable time limit for a meal. Maybe start with 45 minutes...at the end of that time, he's done. Take the plate. He had plenty of time to eat...now the meal is over. (or whatever time you feel is reasonable!!) I had to do this with my now 3 year old...he was still sitting there nibbling on a sandwich after an hour!

If nothing else, speak to the pediatrician about it....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree with TiccleBlue. If there is no developmental reason why he is not feeding himself then you just have to let him try.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• What does his doctor say?
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:04 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree with TiccleBlue Also!
    candace71306

Answer by candace71306 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Yep let him feed himself. He doesn't do it probably b/c he knows you'll do it for him. If there's no developmental delay or anything like that, let him do it. He'll eat when he gets hungry.
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 7:54 PM on Dec. 22, 2008