Have you ever experienced a dying dog?

My first dog, Maggie has lymphoma. She is dying. The vet told us about 6 months ago she had three weeks. She has been doing well, and is gradually getting more sleepy and having a harder time getting around. According to the doctor, she isn't in pain. I am not sure if she is or isn't. We do plan on putting her down when the time is right. My problem is when is the time right? Dh says when she isn't able to get happy for anything anymore. Like you hold up cheese and she ignores it.
She has been whining a bit today and she seems to be having more trouble getting around. I do know the time is getting short.
I am so trying to get through Christmas. My kids lost their grandpa in January of this year and I was hoping they didn't lose their beloved dog at Christmas.
What should I look for to know when the time is right? Most people I have asked have said, you will just know. Your opinion?

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 5:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pets

• I think it's true that you will know, because you know what's normal for your dog, so I think you'll see when she's in too much pain to keep going. Our dog was weak, but not in too much pain, he slipped away before we had to put him down though. Good luck, I'm so sorry you're dealing with this at Christmas. My first dog died Jan 13 (years ago) so he was sick through the holidays that year.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 5:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• the all are right u will know, i am so sorry to have to deal with this at christmas! Just try to confort her and to make sure she isnt in pain u can give her children Tylenol......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• If it wasn't the holidays, I'd tell you to do it now...if she's whining and having trouble getting around, she's in pain. Her last days here are more for you to start saying goodby. Over the years I have had 7 dogs and every one of them was put to sleep in a loving way before they suffered excessively. Do it when SHE needs you to do it, not waiting for some special sign....
    I'm so sorry for you......
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 8:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i know exactly what you are going through. a few years back i had a cat in kidney failure at the holidays, and she was put to sleep on the 23rd. it was very hard to do, and i knew that making her wait until after the holidays would only put her through more misery.
    this is your dog- only you and your family can tell when the dog is ready. if you think he is uncomfortable or his quality of life is not ideal, then the most humane thing you can do is let him pass in comfort. i have had lots of animals over the years, and one thing i noticed when it was time was that the light went out of their eyes. making this decision is not only about if the pet is in pain. i give you my most heartfelt sympathy during this time.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:47 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I would give her some painkillers or maybe some valium to relax her. The vet should give you some. It would make her comfortable. I say before you do it. Take her for a ride in the car or let her do her favorite thing. Its hard but you will get through it! Good luck!
    Marah2008

Answer by Marah2008 at 8:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• oh, and DO NOT GIVE Tylenol. i worked at a vet- acetaminophen is very harmful to pets. anon, youa re not a doctor and should not give medical advice, especially when it is dangerous advice!

MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I agree with your husband...when she doesn't enjoy things anymore and has no quality of life, I think it would be more humane to put her down. I only had one dog growing up and when we had to put her down it was SO hard on my step-father who had had her for 14 years. She was miserable though and she wouldn't eat and could barely walk anymore...that was when we decided.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My Buffy just died and it is not easy to lose a pet. I am so sorry!
    coke2pep

Answer by coke2pep at 9:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I know it is very hard to make that type of decision, but you have to do what you think is best for your dog. If you see that she is suffering more, than you might want to consider it. If you feel she can make it through the holidays than if it makes you comfortable...wait. I'm not very familar with what your dog has, although I am very experienced with animals...I think I'd want to make sure that she just isn't having a couple of bad days first. But that is just me.

hightideatsea

Answer by hightideatsea at 9:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• When i was still a teenager and living at home my mother had a dog and it fought alot it got in such bad fight. He had tubes hanging out all over his body he was in real bad shape, he could'nt eat and could'nt hardly sleep.This happened and my brother was only 7 it was so hard on him but we had to put the dog to sleep,after christmas i would just do it there is no point in making him suffer any longer. this is only imo do what u want i understand u love the dog and your kids to but sometimes u just have to let go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2008