How old was your child when you first got a babysitter?

I really want to go back to work, but my son is only 3 months and I don't know if I can trust someone to take good care of him. I see my own family panic when they can't get him to stop crying. First thing they do is hand him back to mama. Could they handle him if I was farther away than the next room?

mama28th

Asked by mama28th at 7:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• well my oldest was two before i left her with anyone but my parents. i have a thirteen month old now and the only person she has stayed with is her sixteen year old sister. i think that is the way it will be till her sister goes to college and then she can stay with her older brother lol
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My first child was 3 months. The woman we picked told us that after one day, the baby cried to much. Not good, and we didn't take her back. She was a life-long family friend of my husband's, but I didn't think her personality was right--my husband did. My MIL watched the baby until I was off for the summer. Then we found "her." Our save our lives, wonderful sitter. She has been with us since my oldest was 7 months--she is now 7 years. She has taken great care of our children, and never let us down. So, sometimes, you do need to go outside of family. We grew up with her husband, but never knew her. Go with your gut. I only, last month, began to use a teenager to watch the kids once in awhile. They are now 7, 4.5 (really he'll be 5 in Feb.), and 2. I haven't left them for more than 2.5 hours.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 7:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I am a SAHM and i have never left them with anyone except for my brothers or my sisters-in law or close friend. And the first was when my oldest was 2
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 7:41 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I went back to work when my daughter was 3 months. I put her in a home daycare. I went around and visited several daycare centers and home daycares til i found the right one. Savannah loved going there. I was worried the first day i left her she would be upset but she didnt care.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 8:48 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• WHO in your family "panics" around a crying infant? Are they panicking because of the baby or because of you?

You need a break from the baby - is it possible for you to ease back into work while leaving him w/loved ones? Or do the footwork and find a daycare (home or center) that fits with your style.

It will work - it will work because it has to work.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 9:01 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I dont let anyone watch my child,

I let my mother once, And My SIL once,

And she was a little over her 2 year b-day
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:36 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My oldest stayed with a SAHM with one child starting at around 7 weeks, and that worked very well. My twins started going to a small private daycare at 4 1/2 months, and it has been wonderful. I'm an older mom, and I felt uneasy with how young and immature some of the caregivers were at some of the centers I toured. I found a center near my office with several older caregivers and a few college girls. It's easier for me to leave them at daycare than to leave them with family because two babies is a bit much for anyone who isn't used to dealing with two at once. The daycare staff are used to dealing with all kinds of babies, and they just seem to know what to do and don't get flustered. I like the fact that there are several caregivers at the center because I would have a really hard time leaving my babies with a single person that didn't have other adults around to monitor what was going on.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:51 PM on Dec. 22, 2008