concerned about no heartbeat or growth at 7 weeks

OK so here;s my story, ive been going to a fertility doctor but then I was afraid of the doc putting a needle in me down there for some tests. So instead of doing artificial insemination like I was planning, I did it the natural way and I got pregnant. Which seemed to upset my doctor. On the first u/s at 6 wks 2 days, he asked me how i got pregnant and then told me it wasn't a viable pregnancy because he didn't find a heartbeat. i didn't believe him because i thought it was too early. SO instead of doing a D&C, I went for another u/s today. He still didn't find a hearbeat, but it seems like he's not really looking because he doesn't want to be wrong. I jus feel pregnant, i'm puking my guts out, and I think he's just mad that HE didn't inseminate me and get his extra money. I'm not buying it ... and when i told him i was getting a second opinion he thought that was ridiculous and was completely adament about me not going anywhere else. I just don't get it.

brandi143

Asked by brandi143 at 12:55 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I would wait a little longer b4 you make any decitions. And definatly get a second opinion!! You might want to go get another Doctor who you feel you cam trust. I would think at 7 weeks you could here a heartbeat but you never know.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I'm so sorry, your body and hormones may still be saying pregnant, when in fact you may have miscarried. This could be why you're still getting sick to your stomach. Take care and God Bless, get that second opinion if you feel the need.
    Anonymous

• Get a second opinion.
    Jackie0216

Answer by Jackie0216 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• "How did you get pregnant?" "Well, Doctor, when a man and a woman love each other very much...." LOL sorry, it just seems like a dumb question for a doctor to ask.

I would definitely get a second opinion before you make any decisions. And I'd also avoid going to that doctor's office again. From the way you describe it, he only cares about being right.

Second, there is a possibility that you have what is called a missed miscarriage. Some women carry babies for weeks before finding out that the baby never formed past a certain date. They still have all the symptoms and never even suspect that something might be wrong.

On the other hand, you may not be as far along as you think which could indicate that maybe you ovulated later and that's why they can't see the heartbeat just yet.

Try not to stress until you can get that second opinion. Best of luck!
    purvislets

Answer by purvislets at 2:28 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Definintly wait. I went at 7 weeks and they couldn't hear mine yet
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 2:38 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• YOu need to see another doctor not just for a second opinion but for a sense of trust. During your pregnancy and especially at delivery you don't want to be second guessing your doctors intentions! Drop him like a hot rock honey and find someone that is not more concerned with their pride than they are with the health of you and your baby. I hope and pray all is well with your little one and you will hear that amazing sound of a little heart beat very soon :) Good luck!
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Ok at seven weeks you cannot hear a heartbeat, but you can see one on the ultrasound. If he didn't see it the baby stopped growing and died. You still feel pregnant because everything is still there. The placenta and all. you can get a second opinion if you like and ask to see the screen. If there is no fluttering heartbeat you had a miscarriage. I don't want to be a downer, but it happened to me. I was ten weeks,but the baby stopped growing at six weeks. I had to have a D&C done. Good luck mama.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 4:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• PLEASE get a second opinion! Don't listen to what anyone here tells you... we are not doctors!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 9:17 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• so i went today for a second opinion. this new doc wasn't concerned at all. he said its very common to not see a heartbeat until 7.5 weeks. he said I could be off on my dates and not to worry yet and let the baby grow. he took my blood and is going to measure my HCG levels and make sure they are progressing! So wish me luck I will find out on Friday how this is going!
    brandi143

Answer by brandi143 at 10:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2008