what do you do with your kids during the summer?

how do single parents take care of their kids during the summmer when you have to work?! do you just put them in some kind of day care program? and how much does that cost? what age do most of you leave your kids home alone while your at work during the summer or after school?

windowgirl

Asked by windowgirl at 9:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• I was 10 when I stayed home alone for the first time. I was a very matures and responsible kid though. We also lived in a very rural area and I knew that my g-ma was right across the field if I needed anything. I can't imagine letting my daughter stay home alone untill she is at least 12. We live in town right now but I'm not sure where we';; be in 11 years. LOL I think you are the best judge, and I would keep in mind the child maturity level and how well they could handel an emergancy situation and also if you live in a safe area with neighbors your child knows and you trust. The YMCA offers a cheap (or free if you qualify) summer program where I live. Best of luck.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Yes, there are summer camps through your local Y's and churches that often include early/late extended days for working parents. I believe the Y also offers discounted rates to lower income/single head of household families that qualify.

I live in PA, and some of the larger cities offer what they call "Playground Summer Programs." It's like an informal day camp, that is run by local charitable organizations, and is free. They offer supervised and structured games, arts and crafts within the confines of the playground. You would have to check your local churches and non-profit organizations to find out the where, when, and costs.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:45 PM on Dec. 22, 2008