CAN I GIVE MY 7 WEEK OLD PEDIALYTE

Hi there my 7 week old daughter has been a litte fuzzy, she just wants to be held like she dont feel good, and then all of a sudden she had the runs, all over, I gave her a bath, I called peds. but they no longet take calls after hrs, the on call service says I have to go to the er if its life threnting or call medicade help line, I called them 20 min ago and still waiting for them to call back, I was just wondering if anyone know if it would be okay to give her 1/2 ounce of pedialyte, I know it was okay when I did with my other 2 children but I dont think they were 7 weeks old they may have been closer to 3 mts. Thank you

Credfern

Asked by Credfern at 9:27 PM on Aug. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No need
    just keep up with the breastmilk or formula

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:31 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• yes you can. i ended up with food poison when my youngest was only three weeks old. i was breestfeeding and the doctor gave her some because i didn't have formula and she was thirsty. so if it's safe for three weeks i don't see why you can't a seven week.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• A baby that young having loose bowels in not unusual. Just feed her a bottle or brest milk. She will be ok.

Answer by louise2 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• yes its fine to give her some..also you can give her just plain water too..it will also help keep her hydrated..im sure the ped on call will call you here soon they usually say if you dnt hear bck from the within 30 mins to call back..it doesnt sound like you need to go to the er though
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:32 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• Thank you everyone!
    Credfern

Comment by Credfern (original poster) at 9:35 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• It should be fine, but to be safe, I'd call the doctor first and make sure.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:39 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• if you bottle feed make it half strength for her gives her nutrition and not as strong and helps with dehydration
    Alcnic29

Answer by Alcnic29 at 9:40 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• I wouldn't. If she's keeping fluids down (breast milk or formula) it's good, she's getting hydration. If she's not keeping feedings down, I would see/speak to the dr first, then consider my options.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 7, 2011

• If she is breastfed you should stick to breastmilk... it's the best thing and easy to digest.
    If she is formula fed I would only give pedialyte if she has frequent loose stools, but if she DOES need pedialyte then I would be bringing her to the doctor, very young infants dehydrate quickly.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2011