How do you know when it's time to start potty training and how do you start?

My 15 month old is now going off "alone" to poop and then comes to find me when he's done. Seems like he knows what he's doing...just wondering if it's time to start potty training and I have no idea how to do it!

jetmama

Asked by jetmama at 10:03 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would say yes. When they come to you for a diaper change then it's time to start training.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 10:09 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• yes go ahead and get him a potty and when he is more likely to go to the bathroom put him on the potty you could try reading a potty book to him to and buy him new undies and make a big deal out them being for big boys
    symle456

Answer by symle456 at 10:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i started kinda sorta teaching mine about the potty when they started walking. i bought them their potty, sit them on it when i went but didnt expect anything from them.then as i went pee, we both could hear that, id say "Yeah, for mommy" & clap, then id show them the yellow water & let them flush & said "good bye pee' when something finally happened for them, we said "Yeah for baby!" Id dump the yellow water & they'd flush with a goodbye for them! It didnt take to long for them to figure out that its a natural process & fun go use the potty! I had no problems.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I didn't start until the children were dry at night. This was about 3 for both children. Then we spent a weekend going to the bathroom every half hour, and by the end of the weekend they were trained.

Answer by Bmat at 10:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My mother in law bought my daughter an "Elmo's potty time" DVD it helped..
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 22, 2008