Anyone own a Basenji?

I need some training advice. Is there a training method you used that works well? We have a Retriever/Rottweiler mix that we trained easily. We have had other dogs that responded well and we trained on agility courses. Our newest member is stubborn.

We have recently adopeted him. We weren't sure his breed till we took him to the vet. He doesn't bark, he yodels. He has a curly tail and huge ears. lol. The vet heard him "yodel" at another dog and she came around the corner saying, "where is that Basenji". I didn't know what she was talking about. After talking to her she said he is perhaps the hardest breed she knows to train. We have him in obedience, but even the trainer is astounded by his subborness. Any help any methods would be appreciated. Thanks

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 10:13 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pets

• they are considered the least smartest dog according to breed standards against other dogs. have you had his hearing checked out? nothing but hard work and consistency will work with this dog if his hearing is ok. i don't think he is stubborn so much as he is just stupid. sorry not to be mean but just being honest. do some online search and maybe they will have tips on how to work with a basenji
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Thanks, I have done the research. You aren't being mean. It's his breed. They are one of the least domesticated breeds of dogs. I am hoping once he gets through his tracks of obedience, we will be able to start him on agility. We think he has a little collie in him and I am hoping that the collie comes out a little more.
    Thanks again.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:36 AM on Dec. 23, 2008