Maternity Clothes - when?

I'm @ 13 weeks pregnant with twins and I wanted to see when the "normal" time to start wearing maternity clothes is. I am okay in my clothing now, but have noticed my pants getting a little snug around the waistline!

L_Bass

Asked by L_Bass at 10:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Pregnancy

• It depends on the pregnancy. With Twins you'll be wearing maternity clothes pretty early. With my son, I didn't start having to wear maternity pants until I was 6 months along. With this one, however, I was into maternity clothes almost as soon as I was out of my first trimester, because I couldn't stand the pressure on my belly.
    LokisMama

Answer by LokisMama at 10:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• For my first pregnancy I started at 5 months only because I wanted to start wearing them. For the second, by the second month my clothes were getting tight so I switched to maternity clothes.

Answer by Bmat at 10:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I wear my pants very low cut. With my first, I never "needed" maternity pants or clothes for that matter. I just left my pants unbuttoned and wore a belt and a t-shirt. With this baby, I am almsot 18 weeks and don't really NEED maternity pants again, but I don't like the pressure on my belly and I am running around after an 11 month old, so the stretchy maternity pants are nice. In fact, I started wearing them before I even started showing cause their so damn comfy and you can only get away with wearing them for 9 months right? LOL
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I started wearing the pants pretty early...I bloated and wasn't comfortable in my regular clothes. 4 mo. or so along. I didn't graduate to maternity tops until the last couple of months though.

*It is all about what you're comfortable in. Comfort is KEY when you're prego!!! You only get to wear them for a few months...might as well get some use out of them!!!
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• With my twins i was in maternity underwear first, then pants by 12 weeks or so. I was a big girl at the time, so i ended up growing out of most of my maternity tops by the time the babies were born. basically when you start getting a little uncomfortable its time to go shopping, and if you start getting uncomfortable again, its time to go shopping again. If you're thinner then you can probably get away with clothes from walmart, kmart, target or motherhood maternity. If you're a big girl, fashion bug has some comfy maternity clothes. btw, plan on gaining about 35-45 lbs with twins. (i lost all of my baby weight within one month of their birth) and remember to start using cocoa butter on your stomach as soon as you can, not so much to stop the stretch marks, but to keep it from getting itchy (all of the baby growth leads to itchy tight skin).
    good luck
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 11:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• only you can know when to start wearing maternity clothes, but if you have any issue buttoning your pants and if you have to unbutton them through out the day, get mat pants. i know someone who had a miscarriage and the Dr blamed it on her too tight pants.
    katimae

Answer by katimae at 12:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I started wearing some maternity pants... or just none jeans when I was about 5 months preg... shirts probably about 6months
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 12:49 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I always just used a bella band with my first pregnancy, but I wasn't having twins. Do whatever feels comfortable.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 7:37 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I say whenever your pants are getting uncomfortable. I ordered some clothes online practically the day I found out I was pregnant! I was popping out of my jeans pretty early, so it was good that I had them on hand.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 4:48 AM on Dec. 23, 2008