breastfeeding

ive decided to breastfeed my baby when he is born but i have a fear of doing it public could anyone offer some tips on how to get over being afraid to nurse in public and some tips on how to keep it private without showing my boobs to the world. this is my friat time trying to breastfeed i used a bottle last time so im really new at this any tips will be welcomed

symle456

Asked by symle456 at 10:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When I was in church or some other place that I felt self conscience, I always wore a stretchy under tank under my shirt and lifted up my over shirt, then pulled my boob through the neck line or the tank, then I latched the baby on, and pulled the over shirt down to her mouth. If you have smaller boobs, you don't even need to wear a bra if you buy the ones with the built in bra (9.99 at most stores) I have GIANT boobs so I had to wear a bra, but even with full coverage nursing bra on under the tank, it still worked beautifully. I whip it out most places. LOL My daughter will be 1 in 10 days and I'm almost 18 weeks pregnant, and I still whip it out. LOL I think your'll find most people don't care.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 10:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• They have cover ups at babies r us that you can purchase. Wearing button up shirts work best and I have also used fitting rooms quite often when I am at the stores.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 10:21 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• first of all let me say its a wonderful thing your doing, give it a try....... some women can and some cannot. If you find that you are one that cannot, dont beat yourself up. (thats what happened to me lol) If you can then great! Dont be ashamed or embarrassed to breastfeed in public its perfectly normal and natural. Use a blanket to drape loosly over your chest and the baby....it will be fine. This is your right and responsibility to feed your child in public whether it be by bottle or breast.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I still breast feed my 16 month old son. I've never done it in public for many reasons. One is that I'm modest. The main one is that most public places just don't have a comfortable space. I prefer an arm chair and use the boppy pillow most of the time. It's just to hard to find the right place when we're not at home. Another reason I don't BF in public is because when he was small we mostly stayed at home anyway. When I brought him out to run errands we would do it right after he ate. He has  always gone back and fourth from bottle to breast with no problem. I know all babies arent' like that, but maybe you'll luck out.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• They sell nursing tank tops that you can where. They don't show you're whole boob and that is one way to be more discreet, then put a blanket over the baby and over your shoulders. Or hooter hiders. It's like an apron you put on that covers your chest so you can nurse and not be seen. =) If you are really worried about it you can pump and use a bottle.

http://www.bebeaulait.com/

http://www.target.com/Gilligan-OMalley-Nursing-Tank-White/dp/B000KLVH56/sr=1-4/qid=1229959469/ref=sr_1_4/183-7186931-6115320?ie=UTF8&index=target&rh=k%3Anursing%20tank&page=1

Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• wear not where...sorry.
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 10:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I nursed my twins in public from the beginning. most people don't notice. Wear button up shirts or buy nursing tops, before having the baby go out and buy a few nursing bras (1 or 2, you'll possibly need a different size after a few weeks) and nursing pads. When nursing at a restaurant, choose a booth and sit facing the wall. I would nurse while shopping, my kids were always in snuglis or mei tai carriers (which also give you some coverage). I had my mom make me a nursing cover and it was perfect (light weight and slip resistant). My friend swears by the nursing cover that i made for her later, she's uncomfortable nursing in front of any one at all. I even used my cover for pumping while in the car. Good luck!
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 11:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Nurse in front of a mirror, then you can see how little you really expose. The baby covers most of it. Really, there's nothing to it. Baby's hungry, baby eats. You have to have the mindset that it's normal, and legal to do so, and just do it. It becomes second nature. Most women can breastfeed, there is only a small percentage that physically can not.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Honestly, just like any other fear, you are just going to have to try! :) Be prepared that the first time will probably be a flop! Mine was! You will laugh eventually! Second, find a public breastfeeding group on CM... these ladies are brazen (and sometimes a little overboard) but they have the confidence that I needed to get over it! Nursing tanks are your best friend, you can find them online and I found mine at walmart. EBay has some really pretty and very reasonable handmade hooter hider's that you can buy.
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 11:40 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I like nursing tops, no extra blankets or covers necessary. I got mine from Motherwear
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 12:11 PM on Dec. 22, 2008