What do you use to get tough stains off a toilet bowl?

We must have crap in our water or something because no matte how frequently I clean our toilet bowl,we get this weird stain type thing around the water line. I don't want to take a Brillo pad to it, but my regular toilet brush thing won't get it all off. Any suggestions?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 10:49 PM on Aug. 6, 2011 in Home & Garden

• CLR is the one and only thing that got our ring out...it was like a miracle after we must have tried 1000 things! LOL!

mommyluvsphilip

Answer by mommyluvsphilip at 10:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• I was going to say use a glove and an SOS pad. Really does work wonders!
    txnmomof4

Answer by txnmomof4 at 10:51 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• Bleach always works for me
    MaluBullock

Answer by MaluBullock at 10:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• there is this stuff called "whink" it is sold next to silver polish and you give your toilet a few squirts and let sit for a while and scrub...I have also used comet cleanser and would scrub the toilet and let sit all day.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 11:44 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• CLR or Pumice stone, you have hard water which is causing the stains. A fix for inbetween to prevent it from building up is using distilled white vinegar in the toilet tank or a spray bottle with lemon juice for in the bowl
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:34 AM on Aug. 7, 2011

• I pour bleach in the toilet, let it sit, scrub the entire thing, then flush. It's always pearly white after. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:52 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• Bleach works for MOST stains, but not all. I keep one of those bleach tablets in my water tank that bleaches your bowl every time you flush. Those will wear out the plastic parts inside the water bowl quickly, but I know how to replace those, and besides, I live in an apartment right now with great maintenance men. Anyway, this chlorine tablet works for almost everything, but I still get a yellow stain in on the bowl where the water runs, in vertical stripes. Our water tends to be very yellow. So yellow that bleach doesn't get our whites white in the laundry, but turns them more yellow. I'm not sure what the yellow part is. The water tastes gross, but no odor, so it's not sulfur. Anyway, I'm going to try the SOS suggestion from above. In the future, I love cleaning everything with white vinegar! Put some in a spray bottle and wipe. Cleans everything in the bathroom, and isn't bad on the environment. It also kills bacteria.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 11:03 PM on Aug. 6, 2011

• Try a pumice stone. It won't hurt the porcelain and it's great on hard water toilet stains.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 11:50 PM on Aug. 6, 2011