Punishement for nursing??

My hubby is convinced that the reason our 1 year old DD has sleep issues is because I nursed her, and that with our next kid if we formula feed there won't be any issues. I don't really know what to tell him, so I guess I'm wondering/hoping that this isn't true and some babies just doesn't like to sleep...what do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like your husband may be fustrated and is trying to find any reason to explain the problems that you might be having. My daughter was breastfeed and she sleep through the night at 4 months. Some children are good sleepers and some are not. Each child is different and there are different methods that you could try to remedy the problem that you are having. Maybe if you explain the exact problems that you are experiencing someone here can give some advice that might help.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 10:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• That's a crock. The only thing that I can think of that would even come close to tying the two together is if you nursed her throughout the night and she never really learned to go back to sleep on her own. But, that could also be true if using formula. I nursed my son until he was 11 months old and he hasn't had sleep issues at night for months. And look, if you gave your DD formula and never nursed, your husband would be convinced that the reason she's not sleeping is because you didn't nurse her. He's grasping at straws, looking for an explanation for her difficulty with sleeping but it's not because you nursed her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• First, I think he is jealous, of the time you can only spend with your DD,breastfeeding and he can't. Second, all babies are different. Your DD has sleeping issue, and your breastfeeding her,breastfeeding is probably not the reason. You should breastfeed your next to, you might not have sleeping issues with him/her, just because he/she is a different person. Every baby is different.

Answer by louise2 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I know breast fed babies that slept through the night from almost day one, then I know formula fed babies that didn't sleep through the night till they were 18mos old how you feed has very little to do with how they sleep. I nursed all mine some slept through the night with in the first few months some took over a year ... all with the same method of feeding all kids in the same family. It's just the baby next one you have you could nurse and get totally different results.

babyfat5

Answer by babyfat5 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• That's bull. Even if that were true, which it is not. Breastfeeding is sooo much better for them that it would still be worth breastfeeding even if they don't sleep through the night.
    jacy3031

Answer by jacy3031 at 12:38 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Your husband is wrong, if anything the opposite is true! Now if you nursed your baby to sleep and suddenly aren't, that could be causing a problem...but generally breastfed babies have a much easier time with EVERYTHING!

Babies aren't known for being good sleepers, you two have probably just been lucky up until now! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:34 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• That isn't true. Some cihldren just wake at night, it has nothing to do with formula or not.
    Is she still waking to breastfeed?? Or just waking?
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:12 PM on Dec. 22, 2008