Myths...

Anyone familiar with the superstition about the bird in the home meaning death or ill fortune? I have some type of fat fluffy bird in my basement, does the myth still apply if it's not the 'house' but the basement. lol. And anyone ever have birds in their home and not have anything bad follow...

Cowbell88

Asked by Cowbell88 at 10:33 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I have heard if the bird flew into yourclosed window, and died, than someone close to you would die. I have haerd birds hit our windows a few times, but never checked to see if they died. People close to me have passed away but I just believe it was their time, not cause of the incidents with the birds.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Your basement is part of your house. Yes I have heard of the myth. But it never has happened to me.

Answer by louise2 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• well it is a myth so why stress on it.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:49 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Well, it's just a myth, but it could have started from the fact that wild birds carry lice and/or other pests and diseases that humans can contract when they remove the bird or it's dead body--especially since there was no vaccination and dang little sanitation way back thousands of years ago.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 11:31 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I had a bird in my basement this past summer. I opened the basement door and something was just fling around all crazy like so i shut the door and called my dad cause hubby was at work. So he just helped catch it and we took it outside. And I've never heard that myth, but nothing happened here.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:04 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Its untrue we have had a couple birds fly iinto are home... Now saying that I relize thats probably not normal but in any event nothing happend to me. I dont belive in such silly things like that any how.
    Anonymous

• Yes I have heard that....someone would die... and yes I have had birds in my house before and nothing has happened. So try to get the bird out and dont worry about it.
    photojournalist

Answer by photojournalist at 1:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• These go right up there with "If you get frightened by a furry animal during your last trimester your baby will be very hairy!" lol
    MamaCatCat

Answer by MamaCatCat at 2:01 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I have had a bird in the house...and this awesome cat that did a backflip off my dd1's crib and caught it in the air! I don't recall anything bad happening
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• The myth is that if a sparrow flies into your home death is soon to follow.
    san3

Answer by san3 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 22, 2008