Is it normal to deal with depression during pregnancy?

I am aware of post-pregnancy depression but I am dealing with major depression since I got pregnant. It comes and goes. One moment I can be laughing and the next crying and have no idea why. It seems to be getting better but it worries me that I could deal with this even after I deliver. I have no history of this with my other two children. My moods just swing so badly and I seem to have no control or reason for it.

ReganJones

Asked by ReganJones at 1:05 PM on Jul. 14, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Hormones hunny...there a bitch =( i went through that.... I was depressed for about 6 months of my prenancy... in all honesty i didnt want to be around anyone except my mom most of the time... i think it could be normal.... i donno...i was good after i had her... but i'll tell you what.. i spent alot crying..and alot of BLAH moments...it sucked...but it was all worth it=) hope it gets better for you =) Also.. you can ask your doc. about it... maybe they might be able to get you somthing that may calm it down...
    Sweet_nothings

Answer by Sweet_nothings at 2:11 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• It sounds like normal hormone pregnancy stuff. But please make sure you talk about it with someone close to you so that they can keep an eye on whether or not your symptoms are becoming worse. There is such a thing as pre-partum (sp?) depression and it is just as dangerous as post-partum depression. Talk with your doctore regularly and if you feel like it is getting worse, don't be embarassed to say something. Good luck.
    hannahjoy17

Answer by hannahjoy17 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Yes is very normal...Am 7 months pregnant and I can't deal with my depression sometimes!
    EvaMaria18

Answer by EvaMaria18 at 5:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Totally normal!! Those pregnancy hormones run rampant!!
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 5:22 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry you're having a hard time, but it is very normal. It can also be dangerous. If you are feeling that bad talk to your ob. I was terribly depressed so he put me on Welbutrin. There are some conflicting reports on it being safe, but I found more positive reports than negative. It took awhile to kick in, but it I feel so much better. It really helps in the last few months when your hormones get even worse. Also, talk to other mom's out there to. Feel free to write me if you need to! I'll try and help you through! Good Luck!
    HaydensMommy708

Answer by HaydensMommy708 at 9:14 PM on Jul. 14, 2008

• I know what you are going through!!! i am only 6 weeks along and find myself in constant worry and sadness. The hormones are to blame.
    lawstudentmommy

Answer by lawstudentmommy at 3:43 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• I am dealing with the same thing. I am only 5 weeks with no history of depression, but I was a mess all weekend crying and then laughing. The worse part is having my husband feel helpless because he cannot do anything to make it better. I am hoping that as I tell people I am expecting and more forward the feelings will turn to pure elation!
    MissyMG

Answer by MissyMG at 1:22 PM on Sep. 2, 2008