My pipes are frozen...what do I do?

I called my father who said when he got out of work he would try to get ahold of someone to look at it or fix it or something...but I would much rather not pay someone to come out if there is something I can do myself. Why does my SO have to be out of state when I need him!! lol.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 10:50 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Home & Garden

• I'd say run a hair dryer over them (don't concentrate the heat so much that it would damage the pipes), also open up the faucet a bit in case it can start dripping. Something else we do is to open the cabinet door under the sinks, and we also removed ceiling tiles in the basement where the pipes run through the ceiling to let warmer air reach the pipes. Now when it is really cold out, we leave the cabinet doors ajar at night, keep the house warmer at night than usual and let the faucets drip at night. You can save the drip water for laundry.

Answer by Bmat at 10:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Depends what the pipes are made of, if metal then try a hair dryer.
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 10:53 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• hair dryer.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 10:54 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• In the future, leave a faucet dripping somewhere. It won't always stop it from happening, but a lot of times the small amount of movement will keep them from freezing and even if they do freeze, it will prevent them from breaking.

As for right now, I have no idea.
    SamanthaAgain

Answer by SamanthaAgain at 10:55 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I just had this happen last weekend. Have someone aim a hairdryer on the pipes and boil hot water and pour down the drain. Then scoop out the cold water and pour more boiling water down the drain til it clears.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Pouring water down the drain won't help.... that goes to the sewer/septic, not to the pipes that are frozen which is the incoming fresh water.

Hair dryer or if you feel brave and have one, a little torch... like the kind used for cooking. But you can't use that on PVC. Just be careful because you can crack the pipes.

I keep an outside spigot dripping when it gets really cold. To prevent it later have DH wrap the outside pipes really well. They also sell this really cool wrap that is electric so you can heat your pipes easily and safely if they freeze again. Not cheap stuff though!
    LanieBug707

Answer by LanieBug707 at 1:06 AM on Dec. 23, 2008