Why do people pump but not breastfeed?

They say if they actually breastfeed that it will make there boobs saggy. But isnt it basically the same thing as pumping? I really do not get it! There is that bond that you get when you breastfeed and I dont see why anybody would not want that. For those of you that only pump why do you do it? Are there any advantages to it? Im not trying to bash anyone Im just curious.

Marah2008

Asked by Marah2008 at 11:07 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Just for Fun

• i pumped because even when my son was latched on right... it hurt so bad.. my nipples would be cut and bleeding.. so it was just less painful.. ALOT LESS PAINFUL than actually breast feeding. And I PERSONALLY didn't like having my son suck on my boob. It just was weird for ME. But I will try with all my children and see if it is different and less painful because it was alot harder and more time consuming pumping
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I don't get it either. Pumping is such a pain and nursing is actually relaxing to me. Maybe some babies have a hard time latching on. I have a friend with inverted nipples who had a hard time nursing and had to pump, but that's the only reason I can think of.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• My daughter is 3 months and I just recently started strickly pumping versus breastfeeding. She does not seem to be getting full just on breastmilk alone and I had to start giving her a little cereal in her bottles. She seems more content and that is the most important think to me. I also think that it is only a bonding experience if both baby and mother find it a enjoyable experience and some women do not.
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 11:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• i pumped strickly after 2months with my son. Mainly becuz it wasnt a bonding expierence at all, he never did learn to latch on correctly and even when he managed to it hurt so darn bad i just could keep doing it anymore. It stressed me out which in returned stressed him out. You can bond with your baby by bottle feeding. I never propt a bottle up for him i always held him close and fed him.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I started out nursing my twins, but later changed to pumping. The twins were not in sinc, and nursing two very different babies and trying to keep them on the same schedule was wearing me out. Also, nursing the twins was not the nice cozy bonding experience it had been with the single baby, and it was really disappointing. They never looked at me while nursing; they looked at each other and seemed to be guarding their side. I switched to pumping to try and keep my sanity and get a little help with feeding two babies.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 11:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I pumped because my children wouldn't breastfeed. I know people think that's BS, but when my baby screamed and pushed me away, I just couldn't keep trying to force her into it. I don't think my bond with my children was diminished by giving them a bottle.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 12:06 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Nursing was very painful. Pumping allowed me to get a break and let daddy and grandparents bond with the babies. I don't care what my body looks like b/c of the breastfeeding. It will recover as best it can so what difference does that make?
    Anonymous

• I dont know about everyone but some do it cuz of them having to work and they still want their child to have breastmilk.

I did it with my first because I wasnt producing much and my lactation consultant and the pediatrician said it would help stimulate the milk production,etc. So I pumped daily as they prescribed in hopes Id make more milk(I didnt btw).
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:32 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• With me, I thought it was convenient, but in the end it wasn't. I wanted my husband to share in the bonding with our first son... With my oldest, I ended up not pumping enough and then not breastfeeding enough (plus I had to go back to work and didn't know I could pump there)...This time, I am not pumping (unless I am OVER full and then I just take some off the top) and I am exclusively breastfeeding. Baby boy won't take a bottle, and I am OK with that now, since I am a SAHM....as for the saggy boob thing, I have big boobies, they are gonna sag either way! :)
    MamaRoberts

Answer by MamaRoberts at 12:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• After having my son I was not able to BF for several weeks because I had recieved some meds that were unsafe for him. I pumped to keep my milk but, I FF him by a bottle. By the time my milk was safe he had gotten used to the bottle and would not latch on to my breast. So I pumped breast milk for him.
    chel1195

Answer by chel1195 at 1:20 PM on Dec. 22, 2008