Why all of the questions about government dependancy?

It seems that there is a sudden interest in government dependancy these days (here on the Q&A section). Asking why are there vouchers for cable conversion boxes, but you don't get free smoke detectors or carbon monoxide detectors (check the resources people, you can get them free or very cheap from the right resources). Do we really need to government to protect us from ourselves? People complaining about not having free healthcare (sorry, this is a horrible idea for so many reasons). And while we are at it (can't help myself), why do we always see more questions about how to get on welfare, WIC, any public assistance, but amazingly there are virtually no questions about how to STAY OFF of public assistance? Why are we (well, not me) leaning so far as to give government control of our lives?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• I think that if you don't need free, don't take free. If you do need free, who am I to judge?
    Fiveofakind2

Answer by Fiveofakind2 at 11:27 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Amen sista!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Because some people don't care about their pride. They will do whatever it takes to make sure their children are fed and safe. And some other people are so obsessed with the pennies in tax dollars that it takes to keep kids fed and safe that they feel it's their right to judge and put down those in need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I am still fuming about having to buy a coverter box for our television. That was an incredibly dumb move by the industry.

As for everyone else - as long as it's being handed out, people will take it and take advantage of it too. We are raising our family to appreciate and give back, not take.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 11:15 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• OP: Amen, Amen, and one more time Amen.

I understand ppl do have hard times and need temporary assistance for the short term. However there are too many who get on assistance and don't try to find away to get off.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• anon 10:14, I am not saying that there isn't a need for public assistance. My point is that there are seldom (if ever) questions about creative ways of staying off of assistance. I know there are a lot of people that don't like to take welfare, but do for the sake of their families. But there are also some that run to the front of the line for a handout instead of thinking of other resources to find what they need. For instance, if it's a matter of feeding your family, there are food banks that help families in need. If you don't utilize these resources, they end up going to waste and that's just more money out of the American public's pocket.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:23 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• As for converter boxes, I think since it's a special interest (as was pointed out in the other thread), that the special interest group should have to make it free (the box) to people who will need it. But smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms are the responsibility of the individual.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:24 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I think many people dont realize "free" isnt "free". People are paying for that out of their hard earned money and taxes. Nothing in life is free. Getting free stuff, food stamps, medicaid, wic etc should be something to do when there is a real need and all other avenues have been exhausted. Everyone needs help once in awhile so I understand that (been there done that) but it shouldnt be a LIFESTYLE. Continue your education, get a better job and try to support yourself before seeking a hand out is always the best advice. It generally makes people feel much better about themselves then relying on the Govt for anything.

Answer by gemgem at 11:25 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Bcz the economy is lousy right now (an understatement) and people who have worked their rears off to feed, house & clothe their families are losing jobs by the day. We're wondering how the he!! we're going to continue putting food on the table and..... if the assistance will be there for us?? And... we are tired of our pennies going places where people do not attempt to help themselves and can!

This for the anon poster at 9:15--no one is putting down those TRULY in need!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• The ENTIRE modern-day Democratic platform is BASED on having the people be dependent on the Government. Those wise REPUBLICANS who believe in WORKING HARD for the things we want/need/have, are the REASON so many can sit back and wait for assistance.

Those who can DO, those who can't...vote Democrat!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Dec. 22, 2008