mommies!!! this is my first time being a mommy.. so is this normal?

my son is 9 months old.. the dr told me to give him food now.. like canned pees and carrots and food that is already soft that he can just mush. And the snacks for graduates like the puffs and cookies and stuff. My question is when I give him the puffs and i don't put the whole puff in his mouth but let him bite off little pieces he doesn't chew it it sits on his tongue and he gags on it. Is this normal? Will he gag on his food until he's used to the concept??

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its probably just becuz it is a different texture that he is used to. if it continues then i would call the doc and ask them. when i introduce my daughter to new things she will do that also.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 11:17 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Try starting him on baby mum mums. They are rice rusks. You can give him a whole rusk. The saliva in his mouth will dissolve the rusk and little mushy pieces will break off into his mouth and he'll swallow it. I thought these were great for teaching my daughter to keep food in her mouth until it is soft enough to swallow. Once he has mastered these, then move on up to puffs, etc.

But yes, gagging is pretty normal on new foods. If it makes you feel better...take a course in CPR, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Yes its perfectly normal. Its new, and its different. If he likes there will be some kind of way for him to show you. Anything new with a baby will be an experience and some of it will be so funny. Enjoy it :)
    Kat122

Answer by Kat122 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Sure it is normal. The texture and taste are very different than what he has been used. You will want to continue to give him what he is okay with, may take him time to get use to the texture, taste and difference but it may soon become his favorite thing. Be sure to trust that he can handle the whole puff, those are specifically made to dissolve in the baby's mouth. Give him a little bit of room and he will take off on his own!
    toweringbeauty

Answer by toweringbeauty at 11:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I was probably really careful with my kids. I know I didn't give them Kix cereal or cheerios when my friends were giving it to their kids.

Use your instinct. If you don't want him to have it or it makes you worry. Don't give it to him. He'll eventually want things himself. It's not going to hurt him to delay it.

Just remember to introduce new foods slowly. That way you will remember what is new and will be able to pinpoint it if he has an allergy to it.
    foxyloxy

Answer by foxyloxy at 11:22 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Thank you so much for asking this question... I thought my daughter was the only one not getting 'big people' food! she cant even handle the puffs yet. i have found the the 'biter biscuits' are great, she can gum them and learn to self feed, but it is soooo hard she has to slober on it to get it to disolve and no actual chunks come off.

I like the previous persons answer about trusting your instincts. we are the mothers, we know what our kids can handle. my friends with babies are always teasing me because i am too 'protective' and wouldnt give my daughter table food. but i know best for her, and she just doenst seem to care for it yet. when she's ready i will know... i just hope its soon lol
    mse04

Answer by mse04 at 12:33 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I totally agree with everything that mse04 said. My son is also 9 months. He does the same thing so I just don't give them to him. I don't think he is ready for more the baby food yet. I will try again in a week or so but I won't keep pushing them if he can't handle them. Go with your instinct. Dr.s are hopefull but i have learned they don't always understand what you are trying to say. They go off the average and my kids aren't average in somethings.
    mamaofhw

Answer by mamaofhw at 11:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2008