I have shingles, but i've never had chickenpox...? is there a doctor in the house??? adult content

to make a long story short, i went into the ER on friday for some type of rash my neck...they thought it was shingles but they weren't sure, especially since i've never had chickenpox before. so they sent me home with nothing, saying if i get bumps on it soon then it's sure to be shingles. i woke up this morning with bumps on it, kinda like pimples, and i went back to them, and they said it was shingles.

but shingles is caused by the virus from chickenpox, so how i got shingles and never had chickenpox before is beyond me. if i were to come in contact with someone that had shingles, and me having never had chickenpox before, i should be getting the chickenpox, not shingles. my kids have had the chickenpox vaccine so they said they should be fine, just to be on the safe side and not let them touch it...

i'm just confused. how can i have it, if i've never had the chickenpox before??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 PM on Aug. 7, 2011 in Health

• in the uk we tell people it best to get chicken pox as a kid as you get shingles as an adult if you don't

see shingles and chicken pox are very close in rna so if your body can fight chicken pox it Can fight shingles were as if you not had chicken pox your body has no idea how to fight it

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• but you can't get shingles unless you've had the chickenpox before...ever in your life. i've never had chickenpox, so for me to get shingles is, medically, next to impossible right? so if someone who did have shingles came in contact with me, and me never having had the chickenpox, i wouldn't get shingles, i'd get the chickenpox.

After you get chickenpox, the virus remains inactive (becomes dormant) in certain nerves in the body. Shingles occurs after the virus becomes active again in these nerves years later

If an adult or child has direct contact with the shingles rash on someone and has not had chickenpox as a child or a chickenpox vaccine, they can develop chickenpox, rather than shingles

source

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:43 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• If you have been exposed to the chicken pox virus (you may not have had a full-blown infection) as a child, you can get shingles. Did you get an anti-viral at the ER? If not, go there now and get one! I had shingles in May and it was painful; they give me vicodin without me even asking for it--and I did need it to sleep, as well as for a few really difficult days. If you do not take the anti-viral you can get post-herpetic nerve syndrome in which the pain of shingles continues after the virus clears. Shingles are painful and that's the key to diagnosing them; I thought I had poison ivy around my waist from working in the yard. Stay out of the sun and get some mederma for when the blisters break. I had no scars from them after treating the spots where the blisters were. Good luck.
    anchorgurl

Answer by anchorgurl at 12:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• i was 9 when the chickenpox vaccine became available in the US, so unless my parents rushed me to the doctor when it became available and gave it to me, i've never had the vaccine before
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• You may have had chicken pox and just didn't know it. You could have had a very mild case. That's how it was with my baby sister. We were all covered in spots and she had 2.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 12:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• they gave me Valtrex and Vicodin. i couldn't swallow my prenatals...jeez the valtrex is gonna kill me! but i'm gonna take it anyway...this thing burns like crazy!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• I agree you might have had a mild out break with out even knowing you have it.

Answer by louise2 at 12:51 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• OMG you've got them. Hang in there; I blistered in about a week and took about two weeks to get through rash-blister-breaking blisters process. Honestly I slept as much as I could; I hated the vicodin because it made me sleepy and stupid, but it was the only thing that worked. The anti-viral worked well for me and I have no post-herpetic nerve pain (thank God) because it was a miserable two weeks.
    anchorgurl

Answer by anchorgurl at 12:56 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• thanks. is there any type of cream i can put on it? it not only burns but itches too and it's taking all of me not to scratch it
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• It's possible to have chicken pox and have such a mild reaction to it that you don't break out in spots, or, if you do, you just have like one or two that could be overlooked. There's a very good chance you had chicken pox, and you / your parents thought you just had a bug or something going around sort of thing.

I'm sorry you have this - it can be pretty horrible :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:15 PM on Aug. 7, 2011