What if they think the bathroom is a toy????

the twins think that the bathroom is just the hot pow wow spot. any time that anyone has to use it or mention its name they run in strip and get on the potty chairs. its great that they go potty in the chairs but they still dont realize when they have to go all the time. they decimate their diapers in the process so we go through like 6x more than we need. they think toilet paper is awesome and get mad when they only get the amounts they need rather than then multiple handfuls they want. and if that werent enough incentive for them, there is handwashing, which they dont think should ever end because other than bath time its the only time they get to play with water indoors. it gets a little better in the summer when they get to play with water outside, but not by much.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ok mama lol...I think you are going to have to put them on a potty schedual for a little while and stick to it. Meaning they can only be in there when you say, not when they want. Have you tried rewarding them for the good stuff? Ex. ok you let mom help you get your diaper off(or they did it nicely) and they get a stciker. Or they use the right amount of paper, and get a sticker. This is a tough because they are going to the potty and you don't want that to stop but I can see it would be frustrating. hope I helped a little.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:56 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Aww that is cute how excited they get. Buy that cottelle toiet paper that has little paw prints on it. Its designed to show kids how much paper is right to use. You can tell they something like " tear off 5 paws and thats it". That may catch their attention as far as the tp issue goes.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 11:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I think this is a common thing among children. My youngest child used to have to go to every bathroom she saw. I can still remember my friend and I going to Cincinnati with her. She had to stop at every rest stop to check out the bathroom. Thank God my friend was a first grade teacher. She just made up a game that was - I went to the bathroom and what did I see. My daughter had to give items starting with the letter "A". I now have grandsons that are fascinated with the bathroom, especially the sink. I try to time them, or listen for runnig water. You can say, "and this too will pass."  lol

lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 12:08 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Oh, I am totally in your shoes. My 2 1/2 yr old thinks its a game. He goes "tee" all the time, but as soon as I go into the bathroom, hes trying to strip to either sit on the potty or get in the tub. THen when I am trying to get a diaper on him, he says he has to "tee". He strips his clothes and diaper off about 5 times a day. I am going through more diapers because he pees one time in it and he decides its wet. Hes not ready for poop in the potty. He screams and cries and says NO. So we are right in between the processes. I have to resolve to find the diaper he took off and ck it out. I sometimes will put it back on him to save diapers...LOL
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 2:02 PM on Dec. 22, 2008