Cigarette Smoke???

Hi all I am new to this group and I am looking for answers and hope someone can help me on this. I line dance at one of our local country clubs. I LOVE to line dance I don't smoke nor drink. This club I go to people smoke and one of my friends she smokes worse then any chimney I have ever seen, every time I go an dam near her after I come home I smell like I am the one that has been smoking, my hair and my clothes smell like smoke. The next morning I have a headache that feels like I have a hang over and feel sick to my stomach . Is it possible that I am allergic to cigarette smoke? And if so what are people doing for it? I have asked my friend nicely to please not smoke near me and go to another table but she doesn't and if I go to another table she gets very offended. The non smoking club we had went out of business I have always been very sensitive to very strong perfumes. I don't have asthma never have had any kind of breathing problems. This has just got me so concerned and I know all about second hand smoke. I have a cousin that says she is allergic to cigarette smoke and just wondering if I may be also, since how I am feeling the following morning. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated Thank in advance :=)

Rose.Marie

Asked by Rose.Marie at 3:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2011 in Health

• It's possible that you are allergic. It's something you may want to mention to your doctor.

You might ask your friend to try smoking less when she is around you. If she is a true friend, she will respect the fact that you are allergic and it makes you sick.

Here's a weird thing ... I smoke but I cannot breathe in someone else's cigarette smoke. I get sick from it.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 3:54 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• Well first off I am a smoker and your friend should have more repect for you than what she does. It's smokers like her that give other smokers a bad name. As for a possible allergy yes you may just be allergic. I had a friend who has bad asthma and can not be any where around cigarette smoke. I don't smoke around her at all because I have respect for her.

And so I don't have to say it later I don't smoke around my kids either. In the house or the car.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 3:57 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• I don't know about allergic to the smoke but if a lot of people are smoking in the club and you're breathing that in, it can definitely make you nauseous n and not feeling so great. I know all the establishments where I live are all no smoking, no smoking in restaurants either. I am a smoker but I stopped going to this coffee shop here that had a special permit for smoking inside because it was like being in a giant ashtray and even made me sick. If your friend won't leave your area, you should. If she gets offended tell her, its not her but the cigarettes do make you nauseated after awhile. I would not worry that much about her feelings...she isn't worrying about yours
    VonaMom

Answer by VonaMom at 3:58 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• i don't know that you're allergic to smoke, either..but you can't go into a smoking-allowed place of business, even if you distance yourself from a smoker, and not come out not smelling of cigarettes. heck, you can't even go to a mexican restaurant without bringing it home on your clothes and hair. if its in the air, its gonna be on your body.
    if you really have a problem with the smoke, you need to avoid those places.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:05 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• I always get a cigarette hangover. We rarely go out, but when we do, we usually stop by this one place I worked years ago...it's a bar and lounge area with pool tables and whatnot. People are allowed to smoke there. I always feel like hell the next day and feel like I can't breathe. I always try to wear a leather jacket...easy to air out and I don't bring an expensive purse or wear anything that is "dry clean only." I don't think you're necessarily allergic..........I think there really is a such thing as a cigarette hangover
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:16 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• If you are in an enclosed space and people are smoking it will get on your clothes and in your hair. It can also cause a sore throat. You could be allergic but i think its just the reaction to the smoke.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:23 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• Cigarette smoke lingers for so long in the air and on clothing its unbelievable!!! You have to be careful, especially with second hand smoke. It sound like you are allergic to the smoke. If your friend cant respect you to not smoke around you, then you need not to be around her. Eventually it will give you breathing problems or other complications.

See your doc and tell him/her whats going on.
    MommyDimples

Answer by MommyDimples at 10:55 AM on Aug. 8, 2011