Are "unlocked" or used cell phones a good idea? Where would be a good place to buy one?

I have been hating my phone for awhile, and I just dropped it and it's totally dead. So I was thinking I would see about getting a different one instead of using the insurance on this one. There's lots listed on ebay, but not much about them.

ColeParkerMason

Asked by ColeParkerMason at 4:44 PM on Aug. 7, 2011 in Technology

• last time i checked unlocked phones were illegal, however used phones are usually fine
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 4:45 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• I use unlocked phones, and I like them! I can use my phone on any GSM carrier, which is nice. I figured out how to unlock my iphone myself, so now I don't have to pay more money to buy an unlocked one.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 4:47 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• I worked for AT&T for just about 10 years and I will tell you the same thing we use to tell callers when the called in and had an unlocked phone that they could not receive picture messages. An unlocked phone can not promise that you will be able to send or receive picture messages or be able to connect to the internet. You may be able to send text messages but not a promise. I know even if you get the subcity unlock code it will not always help. I worked for tech support for AT&T I do hope this helps. Weather it be AT&T or any other company as a new customer it is possible you can get a FREE phone with new service and don't be afraid of Refrib. phones as they are as good and also come with a warrenty :)
    Rose.Marie

Answer by Rose.Marie at 4:50 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• If you own the phone, it is perfectly legal to unlock it.
    What is illegal is to try and unlock a phone you've found.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:52 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• look at pawn shops and craigslist.
    i know nothing about unlocked phones.
    MsSelfDestruct

Answer by MsSelfDestruct at 8:18 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• Thanks for the answers. I really don't care about the "unlocked" part, but I was looking on ebay at used phones. But it would be a lot of money if it turned out to be crap and I had no way to do anything about it. Thanks for the info.
    ColeParkerMason

Comment by ColeParkerMason (original poster) at 10:22 PM on Aug. 7, 2011

• I would never buy a used cell phone but that's just me
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:41 PM on Aug. 11, 2011

• Hi friend,

There are a plenty of shops and online services available to get an unlocked phone. But, the cost is too expensive. Sometimes, unlocked phones are not gets unlocked in a proper manner. Better, you can buy a locked phone and unlock it from any of the online service providers like Mobileunlocksolutions.com   to unlock your phone. Both unlocking and the locked phone cost is low when compared to unlocked phones.

childchar

Answer by childchar at 1:32 AM on Jun. 15, 2013