anyone else

have family that cancels plans all the time and never wants to see there granddaughter? Its so annoying!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Dec. 22, 2008 in Relationships

• Just wanted to say I'm sorryt hat happens to you. How crappy is that? Ihope you have a great holiday anyways!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:09 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• That stinks. I have a flaky MIL. She's bi-polar, though.... and I don't mean that she's moody. I mean she HAS to take her medication or she can't function....she doesn't function well as it is. Last yr she decided to spend the holidays w/ her alcoholic illegal alien boyfriend (who she has since broken up with - like 2 mo later) who is closer to my husband's age than her own (and we would not allow him in our home) instead of with her grandson (who's first holiday season it was... who lost his twin brother... and who had just had heart surgery). I think she atleast wants to see her grandson it's just that she can't be bothered to do anything that isn't exactly what she wants to do at that moment - so you can never count on her. Just adjust your expectations to protect yourself. It sucks it has to be that way, but never expect them to actually show - and if they do, great!
    Anonymous

• ya she is severly bi polar. doesnt take meds. never wants to do anthing. always makes excuces. something always magically comes up. i call her all the time but she never calls me
    Anonymous

• Don't hold out hope that she will get better. She might but she might not. My dad is bipolar and self medicated from the age of 12 until 45+. He is now clean and on prescribed meds, so it's good now, but we didn't speak for about 11 yrs. He is a wonderful grandpa to my kids, but sometimes i resent the fact that he didn't get help when i was young, he's making up for it with my little sister. Good luck and try to keep your expectations low. (that sounds bad, but that way you won't be let down)
    Anonymous

• Mine mainly are about us going to them and them not coming down here unless its an emergency.
    They live 3 hrs away and they dont work near as much as DH does but somehow we are to make time to go there.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 12:48 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• yea i know exactaly how you feel. When my daughter was born only one of my aunts came to see me. I have 14 aunts and uncles on my mothers side and 22 cousins all close to my age and living localy. We all get along and usually suportive but here we are 20 months later and still none of them have stopped by. on my dads side 10 aunts and uncles and 17 cousins only 5 stopped by. As for my parents they care about the baby but not so much me. No one likes me because of my religion not that i ever talk about it. Most of them didnt even know until recently.(im christian)
    Anonymous