How would you handle or what would say to....

a child you do not know, or you do know that ask you for money? We were recently at a breakfast with Santa and they had a bowling machine game there. My boys wanted to play so hubby got some quarters for them and gave them to me and this little girl comes up with her hand out saying "I want some, gimme me some." I just told her no and her mother was standing right there! If she asked maybe I would have. Do parents not teach their children manners anymore?

Christine0813

Asked by Christine0813 at 12:13 PM on Dec. 22, 2008 in General Parenting

• I dont know I have never been in that situation. I dont think I would have given them any if I didnt know them. I know at my kids' bday parties we usually rent out a skating rink or swimming pool and they have video game areas at both places. I dont know half the kids there most of the time bc they are invited by friends and family and have been asked for quarters then. I do give them quarters under those circumstances since its a private event so I know they belong to someone Im related to. Otherwise I dont make it a habit to give money to strangers, even if the strangers are kids. I think it goes to a society issue where some ppl (parents) think they can send their kids to ask and get something for free.
    Anonymous

• I get so embarrassed in these situations. I feel the same way, wouldn't' that embarrass the parent? My parents tought me to never ask for money and certainly not say gimme gimee.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:15 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Yes that has happened to me at Chuck E Cheese with kids asking for tokens. At those places parents tend to let their kids run wild. What I said to them was " I don't think your mommy would want you talking with strangers" and they looked at me weird and then ran off!
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 12:18 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• OMG I would have been floored! Honestly I would have said, loud enough for mom to hear"No and you should not talk to strangers it is very very dangerous!" We all know that sometimes our kids do or say something that mortifies us, but that mom sound have stepped up. A child like that is in danger because approaching strangers could cause her to be targeted by a predator.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:19 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I've had that happen to me too. Kids will do this sort of thing. The only problem I see is that the mother didn't step in, correct her child, and apologize to you.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• No. Some parents encourage it. My cousin is scum and married to scum and thus the pattern continues (luckily, my uncle got divorced, but it was too late then for the kids). Their kids always ask people to buy them things, give them money, food, etc. Whatever handout they can get is more they can spend on themselves. It sucks.
    Anonymous

• I would have told her no. I probably would have told her nicely to ask her mommy and daddy for some money, and that. she should not talk to strangers.
    lynnem1211

Answer by lynnem1211 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• Kids will just do that. I've told mine 'til I'm blue in the face that you don't do things like that... but I still catch them doing it.

Did the mom not say anything to her daughter?? Every time I catch my boys I step up real quick and remind them we don't do that, and then apologize to whoever it was caught in the crossfire LOL
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• I would have told the child no and then I would have said something to the mother. When I lived in an apartment there was a family a couple of doors down from me who would always send their 4yr old knocking on all the doors asking for money, diapers & cigarettes, I finally called CPS o them.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:36 PM on Dec. 22, 2008

• That is kind of bad manners, but I would have given the little girl money. I would hope that the parents would speak up and say something to her about it being rude and offer her some of their money, but some parents could care less I guess.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 12:42 PM on Dec. 22, 2008